Thread: Advice and Questions for porting Qt app to Android

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Advice and Questions for porting Qt app to Android

Sorry if this is off topic--let me know if it is and I'll post elsewhere.

I have a C++/Qt application running on Windows. It uses MySql and communicates with an external device (USB to serial hardware) via QtSerialPort.

Nothing fancy about the GUI, but I have spent quite a bit of time getting it like I want it. I'd like to get it working on an Android tablet. They are cheap enough that requiring purchase of an Android tablet just to run my application isn't unreasonable.

I've done C++ development for decades, but I'm just starting to learn about developing on Android. I'm not skilled in Java, but I can get by with lots of referring to docs/examples, given its similarity to C++. While the current application is running on Windows 7, I have lots of experience developing (and porting) applications over Windows, Linux, and other unix like operating systems.

What's a good resource for someone like me to understand the limitations of Qt on Android? From what I've read so far, it seems "bleeding edge", but maybe I haven't found the right resource yet.

Is Qt Android mature enough that porting existing code makes more sense than re-doing the app on Android? I really don't need support on both Windows and Android, if I can get a good implementation on Android, I could discontinue development on Windows.

I assume I still need to get more skilled in Java, even with if I use Qt on Android and go the porting route?

Thanks,

Dave Thomas

2. The following user says thank you to davethomaspilot for this useful post: