Thread: Qt License Upgrade

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Qt License Upgrade

I am using Qt4.2.2 commercial edition. Now I want to upgrade this version to Qt4.3.0.
    so can somebody tell me the way, how can I achieve that.

What I guess is, there should be some fee for upgrade existing Qt license to newer one.

TIA

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Qt License Upgrade

If the license period didn't expire, you are entitled for upgrades, so it's just a matter of downloading the newest version from your Trolltech account. Otherwise you have to renew the license or buy a new one if it can't be renewed.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    If the license period didn't expire,
    What is the expire date. Means where is it mentioned ?

you are entitled for upgrades, so it's just a matter of downloading the newest version from your Trolltech account.
    Is there any fee for downloading and running a newer Qt version ? If yes, then where is it mentioned ?

Otherwise you have to renew the license or buy a new one if it can't be renewed.

And I think that there should not be anything like expiring the license. I paid for qt4.2.2. And I want to update it after 2 years. So what is problem in that. And if there is any expiry date. Then why trolltech peoples informed me by email.
    Last edited by yogeshgokul; 19th March 2008 at 06:46. Reason: ..

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by yogeshgokul View Post
    The date is mentioned on your license certificate. You can probably also login to your account at dist.trolltech.com and see which versions you can download.

Is there any fee for downloading and running a newer Qt version ?
    If your license has expired then yes. You either need to renew it or buy a new one.

If yes, then where is it mentioned ?
    It used to be described on Trolltech website, but I can't find it anymore, so you probably have to mail sales and ask them.

And I think that there should not be anything like expiring the license. I paid for qt4.2.2.
    So you can use it for as long as you want. This doesn't expire, only your right to download upgrades.

And if there is any expiry date. Then why trolltech peoples informed me by email.
    Maybe they did, I don't know that. To the best of my knowledge you should get at least an email reminding you that your license will soon expire, but my knowledge on the subject is not very good, so don't rely on that.

From what I see 4.2.2 was released in early December 2006, so if you bought the license back then, it should have expired during last 3-4 months. If that's the case, you are entitled for license renewal (I think the cost is around 500 euro, but it's a wild guess, so don't sue me on that).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

It was mentioned like in every e-mail you received from Trolltech. As far as I remember, it's also mentioned at your personal download pages and in the license file itself. You should've also received an email and a paper letter which mentions all the products and platforms you're entitled to, including your personal license/support numbers. This email/paper mentions the expiry date as well.

When your team buys commercial Qt licenses, you receive the following:
    • Maintenance: One year of upgrades to all new releases of Qt.
    J-P Nurmi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Ok, Now situation is: I have Qt 4.2.2,
    My license is expired on 05-Jan-2006. Means I cannot get newer Qt versions for free. But I want to use Qt 4.3. But i do not want to buy a new license for 4.3. I want to upgrade the 4.2.2 into 4.3. So for this they should charge very less amount. I just want to know that is it possible or not. If yes then what will be the procedure.

If not then its totally unfair by Trolltech. Means they want me to always work on Qt 4.2.2. And if I want to work on Qt 4.3 then I have to purchase it as new. Means giving all the money all over gain.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Of course, renewing a license is cheaper than buying a new license. But I guess it's a bit late to "renew" if your license expired a couple of years ago... I suggest you contact Trolltech sales for more details. This is kind of out of the scope of this forum.
    J-P Nurmi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

From what I know you can renew a license only half year after the previous one expired, so if your license is two years old, I'm afraid you'll have to buy a new one. Or you can make your applications Free (as in liberty, not as in "free beer").

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

This is my conversation with sales@trolltech.com.

I wrote:

> Region:
    > Organization:
    >
    > Name: Yogesh Sharma
    > Telephone: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    >
    > Message:
    > we want to renew our maintenance

sales@trolltech.com replied:

Hi Mr. Yogesh,
    Thank you for the e-mail.
    I am sorry to inform you that your license (XXXXX) in account XXXX
    expired on 5.01.07 and it is now too late to renew.

From the date of expiry we allow customers to renew up until six months
    after this date. Beyond the six months after expiry, a new license
    needs to be purchased.

If you are interested in purchasing a new license to continue with Qt,
    please contact me and I will put you in contact with one of our account
    managers in your region.

Kind regards,

Amanda J Weddle
    Renewal Coordinator

Trolltech ASA
    Phone: +47 21 60 27 20

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by yogeshgokul View Post
    In the second to the last paragraph of your "Qt License Certificate" the expiration date will be listed. That document lists the support number and the name, business and email address of the person to whom the license was issued. It also lists the email of Qt Support.
    Is there any fee for downloading and running a newer Qt version ? If yes, then where is it mentioned ?
    If your license is current there is no fee. Just access your account directory and download, as a previous poster reported. IF your license has expired then you must purchase a new one. Of course there is never a fee for downloading the GPL version.

And I think that there should not be anything like expiring the license. I paid for qt4.2.2. And I want to update it after 2 years. So what is problem in that. And if there is any expiry date. Then why trolltech peoples informed me by email.
    First, you are entitled to use the licensed version, 4.2.2, to create commercial software (i.e., software distributed in binary form with no requirement to distribute the source) for as long as you want, even if the license period expired. That period only refers to access to support and free upgrades.

Secondly, while the license is active. you are entitled to free access to ALL upgrades released during that period and to email support which, I might add, is well worth the license fee.

Thirdly, Trolltech DOES inform the license holder listed on the Qt License Certificate by email and letter one month before the license period expires. Renewing a license costs less than the original purchase price. In my experience Trolltech is very diligent about keeping current customers and acquiring new ones. IF you are indeed the person listed on the Certificate then you WERE sent a notice of expiration and a request to renew by both letter and email. In fact, I received the email and the letter but in the press of business forgot them both. A couple days before my license would have expired I got a call from the Qt rep in California asking if I intended to drop the Qt license. That YOU did not get neither a letter, an email or a call suggests to me that you are not the person listed on the Certificate, or that you have moved your physical address and changed your email address and phone number.

Lastly, in the computer world two years is an eternity.