Thread: Popup notification window issues on Mac

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question Popup notification window issues on Mac

Hi,

I am working on a messenger popup window that notifies me when someone logs in or sends me a message.
    I get different issues depending on the "solution" I try:

1)
    Code:
    _toaster->setParent(_toaster->parentWidget(), Qt::FramelessWindowHint | Qt::WindowStaysOnTopHint);
    Result:
    The popup notifies me ok when I am using a different program (other than my messenger) but for example when I use the chat window (of my messenger), the popup takes control of things and I cannot continue writing, to continue with the chat, I have to activate the window back manually.

2)
    Code:
    _toaster->setParent(_toaster->parentWidget(), Qt::ToolTip | Qt::FramelessWindowHint | Qt::WindowStaysOnTopHint);
    Result:
    This fixes the problem of the first result but when I am using a program other than my messenger, and the popup activates, all the other windows of the messenger get on top of my currently working window.

3)
    Code:
    _toaster->setParent(_toaster->parentWidget(), Qt::FramelessWindowHint | Qt::WindowStaysOnTopHint);
    WId wid = _toaster->winId();
    SetWindowGroup((WindowRef)wid, NULL);
    Result:
    This is suppose to fix both problems from above by detaching the QWidget _toaster from the rest of the windows, BUT SetWindowGroup returned -5600 that means that the window is not valid and I get the same result from #1. Note that SetWindowGroup is a method from Carbon and not from QT.

Is there a way to do this with 100% Qt code? If not, any thoughts on what could be wrong with SetWindowGroup?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

========
    Notes:
    Regarding the code
    _toaster is an object of type QWidget
    Regarding my system:
    Mac OS X 10.5
    Qt4.4

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Popup notification window issues on Mac

This was posted a long time ago by me. I did find a solution to this problem, but unfortunately I was not able to use Qt.

The solution was to use Growl

This is why it is sooooo popular on Mac.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: Popup notification window issues on Mac

Can u post example how to use growl with Qt. And did u make use of Growl 1.3 standalone, with Mist ? Searching over the network, doesn't give me any useful response.