Thread: Getting started from scratch

Default Getting started from scratch

For a bunch of reasons, I decided it's time for me to learn Qt.

Though I'm a professional Linux C++ developer, with Qt I'm starting from scratch. And the goal is to learn Qt, both the framework, and most efficient working methods using the "best" tools available today, with minimal extra work.

So, my questions:

Linux or Windows? If Linux, which distro? Something with VMWare image available and with Qt stuff pre-installed would be ideal, since the host OS will most likely be Windows anyway.

What development environment is best for Qt? Currently I'm using emacs and GNU tools, but I suppose there are more "modern" environments available for Qt, with integrated help and reference systems? Note: also MS Visual Studio is fine for me, if it's the ideal choice for Qt learning (I doubt it, just saying), other non-free (as beer) environemnts are not.

What version control works best with this environment, or is most suitable for Qt projects in general?

Then I was planning to start with Trolltech's tutorials. Anything else you might recommend?

Is the latest version of Qt the best to start with?

(Oh, and I realize this kind of question is sort of a flamebait... That is not my intention, and I assume there are several "best" alternatives anyway, so no flamewar about the "best", please...)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Getting started from scratch

Quote Originally Posted by hyde View Post
    For a bunch of reasons, I decided it's time for me to learn Qt.
    That's very good

Linux or Windows?
    Whichever you feel more comfortable with. Linux usually comes with Qt4 installed, so you can at least skip one step when learning it.

If Linux, which distro?
    Doesn't matter, just make sure it is in the latest version available.

Something with VMWare image available and with Qt stuff pre-installed would be ideal, since the host OS will most likely be Windows anyway.
    In that case stick with Windows.

What development environment is best for Qt?
    Again, whichever you like best.

Currently I'm using emacs and GNU tools,
    If you like them, you can continue using them. You need a text editor of your choice, g++ and make installed.

Note: also MS Visual Studio is fine for me, if it's the ideal choice for Qt learning (I doubt it, just saying), other non-free (as beer) environemnts are not.
    If you like VS, use it. It's cubersome to configure with Qt, but once you get it done, it's easy to use.

The only thing I recommend is to use qmake for managing the project instead of relying on Visual Studio projects (you can generate VS project files from qmake projects, not the other way round).

What version control works best with this environment, or is most suitable for Qt projects in general?
    All Qt files are text files, so it doesn't really matter. People tend to use it with subversion or git. Trolltech used to work with Perfoce but then they switched to git.

Then I was planning to start with Trolltech's tutorials. Anything else you might recommend?
    Start with running Qt Assistant

Is the latest version of Qt the best to start with?
    Yes, 4.4.3 will be fine for you.

(Oh, and I realize this kind of question is sort of a flamebait... That is not my intention, and I assume there are several "best" alternatives anyway, so no flamewar about the "best", please...)
    You know what is best for you, so you can only throw flames at yourself