Thread: Multi-window document structure

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Multi-window document structure

Hi,

I'm trying to develop graphic interface with Designer for an embedded Linux device with a small touch-screen. I come from graphics background, with very little programming skills, but I'm working together with a programmer, who will take care of the actual programming. I've browsed through the documentation and some Qt books, but I still seem to be missing some basic concepts, so I'd really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction with the following questions.

The device in question will have a small fixed-size interface (full-screen) with a few subcategories (so there will be no need for the resizing capabilities). There will be one main navigation display, which will be used to navigate to other screens, which will take over the whole screen (quite similar to most navigators). Each of these sub-windows have different functionality. What I seem to be missing how to construct the ui-file so, that it is easy to design/preview all the individual screens and navigation between them (10-15 different screens), and to produce abovementioned one-screen-at-a-time interface.

Should one ui-document contain all screens as separate widgets side by side, and then set the visibility of the widgets using setVisible(true/false) statements and then center the visible widget in the window? Or would it be better to have each screen as a separate ui-file?

Thanks in advance,
    JariV

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Multi-window document structure

hii
    i'm also working for an embedded Linux device with a small touch-screen.
    my question is can u give some screenshot of what type of work u want to do?

also have u able to configure qt with touchscreen support?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: Multi-window document structure

Quote Originally Posted by JariV View Post
    The device in question will have a small fixed-size interface (full-screen) with a few subcategories (so there will be no need for the resizing capabilities). There will be one main navigation display, which will be used to navigate to other screens, which will take over the whole screen (quite similar to most navigators). Each of these sub-windows have different functionality. What I seem to be missing how to construct the ui-file so, that it is easy to design/preview all the individual screens and navigation between them (10-15 different screens), and to produce abovementioned one-screen-at-a-time interface.
    You could use a "stacked widget" from the "containers" category. Qt Designer shows little arrow buttons for easy designing/previewing of individual screens.

Should one ui-document contain all screens as separate widgets side by side, and then set the visibility of the widgets using setVisible(true/false) statements and then center the visible widget in the window? Or would it be better to have each screen as a separate ui-file?
    With QStackedWidget it would be only a matter of changing the current screen. However, this means that all screens would be constructed in the memory all the time. Depending on the complexity of those screens and the constraints of the device, it may or may not be feasible. Alternatively the screens could be constructed on the fly whenever the screen is changed. Or there could be a buffer of recently used screens to avoid having them all in the memory but still making it fast to switch back and forth between the screens.
    J-P Nurmi