Thread: Attempt to create QTimer results in: Cannot create children for a parent that is...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Question Attempt to create QTimer results in: Cannot create children for a parent that is...

Hello,

I am attempting to create a GUI control for use in future Qt applications. Part of it involves repeated calls of a function, while the mouse is down.

My control consists of a class "control" based on QWidget.

Within this there is another class "myqslider" which is a subclassed QAbstractSlider.

Within "myqslider" I have a slot "timeout()" which is meant to be called whenever the timer times out.

In the constructor for "myqslider" I have:
    Qt Code:
    1. QTimer* internal_timer = new QTimer(this);
    2. QObject::connect(internal_timer,SIGNAL(timeout()),this,SLOT(timeout()));
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Whenever I run my application I get the following:

QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread. (Parent is myqslider(0x3966f0), parent's thread is QThread(0xb35b30), current thread is QThread(0x3969e0).

I am completely stumped. As far as I can tell every QObject has its own thread, and pretty much everything in Qt is based off of QObject so I dont think its a case of it being too "low in the chain" (i've tried putting it in the constructor for "control" anyway).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Attempt to create QTimer results in: Cannot create children for a parent that is.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Attempt to create QTimer results in: Cannot create children for a parent that is.

Hi caduel, thanks for your reply.

Please bear with me im not sure im understanding this right:

So say I have QObject1 in Thread 1, and this object instantiates another object (say a GUI control), this second object, QObject2, belongs to Thread1 although it controls Thread2.

Therefore when I created my timer in QObject2, it was being created in Thread1, but I was trying to control it from Thread2?

If this is correct, why am I still unable to at least create the timer in the constructor, surely it would be created (in Thread2) and I just wouldnt be able to interact with it?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

when you subclass QThread (and add some member objects to the subclass) then both the QThread and the stuff you added in the subclass all belong to the thread you created your QThread-subclass-object in (the gui/main thread usually).

So, if you try to access them from the 'your' thread, you try to access objects belonging to another thread, which you should not do.

So:
    do put those variables into a separate class which you create inside the run method of the thread
    (or change the thread with QObject::moveToThread())

HTH

5. The following user says thank you to caduel for this useful post:

sebastian.f (1st May 2009)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Smile Re: Attempt to create QTimer results in: Cannot create children for a parent that is.

Hi caduel. I changed the thread of my second object to that of the main application in the constructor and its working brilliantly now.

Thank you very much, I think i've got it now!