Thread: is it possible to relate a QprogressDialog or a QProgressBar to a thread's execution?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default is it possible to relate a QprogressDialog or a QProgressBar to a thread's execution?

Hello everyone,
    is there a way to connect a QProgressDialog or QProgressBar to the execution of a QThread?
    for example the QProgressDailog should appear when the QThread starts and then show the progress until the QThread finishes.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: is it possible to relate a QprogressDialog or a QProgressBar to a thread's execut

Does the thread know how much it is left for it to do?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: is it possible to relate a QprogressDialog or a QProgressBar to a thread's execut

The thread is executing a query so im guessing no it doesn't know how much is left
    unless there is an option in QSqlQuery to show the progress of a query being executed

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by toufic.dbouk View Post
    The thread is executing a query so im guessing no it doesn't know how much is left
    So it can't show its progress, can it?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I dont know :P your are the expert here im asking for your assistance
    ill try to work on it and get back to you ,
    but i was wondering if we could just connect the QThread start method to the the QProgressDialog and show some slow progress
    and connect the QThread exit or finish method to the QProgressDialog so that when the thread is done we can just speed up the progress and finish it to 100%

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by toufic.dbouk View Post
    but i was wondering if we could just connect the QThread start method to the the QProgressDialog and show some slow progress
    There is no concept of "progress" with a thread.

If you want to show the user some information that the program is busy then show a progress dialog, set its minimum, maximum and value properties to 0 and show the dialog. When you get a finished signal from the thread, invoke the hide() slot of the dialog.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    There is no concept of "progress" with a thread.
    i didnt mean progress of the thread , i mean just show some random progress of the QProgressDialog ( as if the bar is just getting filled from 0 to 100 )

If you want to show the user some information that the program is busy then show a progress dialog, set its minimum, maximum and value properties to 0 and show the dialog. When you get a finished signal from the thread, invoke the hide() slot of the dialog.
    sounds okay to me , it will do the job in a descent way

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I think you will still need to drive the progress by calling setValue() but that should be easy with a timer.

I.e. like this
    Qt Code:
    1. class ThreadProgressDialog : public QProgressDialog
    2. {
    3. Q_OBJECT
    5. public:
    6. explicit ThreadProgressDialog(QWidget* parent = 0) : QProgressDialog(parent), m_timer(new QTimer(this)) {
    7. setRange(0, 0);
    8. m_timer->setInterval(500);
    9. connect(m_timer, SIGNAL(timeout()), this, SLOT(advance()));
    10. }
    12. public slots:
    13. void threadStarted() {
    14. m_timer->start();
    15. show();
    16. }
    18. void threadFinished() {
    19. m_timer->stop();
    20. hide();
    21. }
    23. private:
    24. QTimer *m_timer;
    26. private slots:
    27. void advance() {
    28. setValue(value() + 1);
    29. }
    30. };
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

And then connect the thread's signals to the respective dialog slot.

Cheers,
    _

9. The following user says thank you to anda_skoa for this useful post:

toufic.dbouk (12th September 2013)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I suggested using minimum=value=maximum=0 which should get the special behaviour of the progress dialog without the need for setting a value.

11. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

toufic.dbouk (12th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    I suggested using minimum=value=maximum=0 which should get the special behaviour of the progress dialog without the need for setting a value.
    Are you sure you don't have to do anything else?
    I might remember incorrectly but setting the range 0,0 is only switching the mode from "normal prgress" to "bounce left/right, unknown duration", but without calling setValue the bar will not change.

Hence my example using both

Cheers,
    _

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by anda_skoa View Post
    I might remember incorrectly but setting the range 0,0 is only switching the mode from "normal prgress" to "bounce left/right, unknown duration", but without calling setValue the bar will not change.
    yea thats exactly the purpose of it to just bounce left and right without stopping , to show the user that something is loading and then just hide or close it when the executing process is done.
    your example is great Im sure im gonna use it soon but for now this just gets the job done with 3 lines of code
    Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by anda_skoa View Post
    Are you sure you don't have to do anything else?

Hence my example using both
    If minimum and maximum are set to both 0, then setting the value to anything other shouldn't have any effect as the value should be bound to min <= val <= max. At least that's my logic