Thread: Why is Qt Creator 2.0.0-beta creating executables in a different folder?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question Why is Qt Creator 2.0.0-beta creating executables in a different folder?

I'm using Qt 4.7.0-beta1 and Qt Creator 2.0.0-beta under Linux and I noticed that Qt Creator is now creating executables in a totally new folder. For example, if I'm working with Qt Creator on a project located in "/qt/myprogram" then Qt Creator will create the new "myprogram" executable under "/qt/myprogram-build-desktop". I don't like this new feature and I just want the executable to be created under "qt/myprogram", like it used to do in the past.

Any ideas on how to override this new behavior?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Why is Qt Creator 2.0.0-beta creating executables in a different folder?

To be honest I don't experience such behaviours.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Why is Qt Creator 2.0.0-beta creating executables in a different folder?

I was able to determine that running Qt Creator creates a "myprogram.pro.user" file that includes a line like the following one:

<value key="Qt4ProjectManager.Qt4BuildConfiguration.Build Directory" type="QString">/qt/myprogram-build-desktop</value>

So, this is what's causing my problem, but how do I prevent Qt Creator from automatically putting a different directory in this BuildDirectory entry.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

You need to disable shadow build. It can probably be set in Creator's preferences.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thumbs up Re: Why is Qt Creator 2.0.0-beta creating executables in a different folder?

Thanks Wysota, it worked! I disabled the "Shadow Build" feature by unchecking the "Shadow Build" checkbox in Qt Creator and that solved my problem. To find this option you have to first click on the "Project" button located on the left vertical menu inside Qt Creator. The checkbox will then appear.

Thanks!

6. The following user says thank you to EB for this useful post:

giowck (4th August 2010)

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Just for the record: This feature ("shadow builds") allows you to build mulitple configurations like Debug, Release, for a phone or the simulator etc. simultaneously and also makes cleaning build artifacts much more robust.