I am attempting to get phonon sound output working with no success.

I have a cross-compiled qt 4.6.0 for Geode, which is using the gstreamer backend and alsa.
I have verified that sound output works using aplay, and gstreamer from the command line.

Whenever I attempt to play the audio, I hear a faint static sound that continues while the application is running, even past the duration of the wav file.

The application is being launched as follows:
GST_DEBUG=3 PHONON_GST_DEBUG=3 dbus-launch /home/app/app -qws

I have not attached any code, as I have attempted to run multiple applications including the Phonon demos/examples with no success.

I believe the relevant portion of the debug output is the following.

INFO GST_PLUGIN_LOADING gstplugin.c:659:gst_plugin_load_file: plugin "/usr/local/generic_platform/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstalsa.so" loaded
INFO GST_ELEMENT_FACTORY gstelementfactory.c:363:gst_element_factory_create : creating element "alsasink"
INFO GST_ELEMENT_PADS gstelement.c:698:gst_element_add_pad:<GstBaseSink@ 0x827c030> adding pad 'sink'
WARN alsa pcm_hw.c:1293:snd_pcm_hw_open: alsalib error: open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p' failed (-16): Device or resource busy
WARN alsa gstalsasink.c:682:gst_alsasink_open:<alsasink0> error: Could not open audio device for playback. Device is being used by another application.
WARN alsa gstalsasink.c:682:gst_alsasink_open:<alsasink0> error: Device 'default' is busy
INFO GST_ERROR_SYSTEM gstelement.c:1746:gst_element_message_full:<alsasi nk0> posting message: Could not open audio device for playback. Device is being used by another application.
INFO GST_ERROR_SYSTEM gstelement.c:1769:gst_element_message_full:<alsasi nk0> posted error message: Could not open audio device for playback. Device is being used by another application.

It appears that the sound device is in use by something. However, no other applications are running that are using the sound card. I have used fuser to examine the device in question and nothing is using it.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to proceed.

Thanks in advance.