Thread: Is there a way to force QLineEdit to start accepting input with Hebrew as default

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Is there a way to force QLineEdit to start accepting input with Hebrew as default

I have a program which is used on windows systems, running Hebrew & English as the default languages. My users are not tech savvy at all (bunch of old granpas ). Now on each run of the program it first ask the user for a name and password - and the name must be in Hebrew (requirements are not mine). I haven't found a way to make sure the program start accepting input with Hebrew as the default so on each start they have to switch to language to Hebrew (using the OS pre-assigned key combination) and then input their user names. Since they start up the program quite of a few times each day this is bugging them.

I have tried using setLocale() to force Hebrew as the locale for the program and it works for all program defined strings, but not anywhere outside input is concerned.

So to my question, is it even possible to force QLineEdit to start accepting input with Hebrew as default?

Thanks for any answer.
    Dave

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Is there a way to force QLineEdit to start accepting input with Hebrew as default

If I understand you correctly, you only want to have the Hebrew locale for the line edit?
    If so, you can set a locale per widget:
    http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/qwidget.html#locale-prop

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Is there a way to force QLineEdit to start accepting input with Hebrew as default

I think the input method (keyboard layout) is the problem here, not the locale so the proper way would be to programatically switch the Windows keyboard layout to hebrew. In other words it's not the problem with data display (something locale is related to) but data input.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

4. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

dave (11th July 2010)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by tbscope View Post
    If I understand you correctly, you only want to have the Hebrew locale for the line edit?
    If so, you can set a locale per widget:
    http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/qwidget.html#locale-prop
    That's what I did. Unfortunately it doesn't affect the input language.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 913 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60
    Wiki edits

שלום,

I am afraid but this is OS specific since you want to change the keyboard layout. But I am sure you can change it via the system API every time the line edit gets the focus. (Or, ask the user for the shortcuts he normal uses to change the kb layout and trigger it programmatic.)

Or (not the best way) install a event handler and check for keyboard inputs and transform e.g. a "D" to "ד".

Lykurg

7. The following user says thank you to Lykurg for this useful post:

dave (11th July 2010)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    I think the input method (keyboard layout) is the problem here, not the locale so the proper way would be to programatically switch the Windows keyboard layout to hebrew. In other words it's not the problem with data display (something locale is related to) but data input.
    That's also the conclusion Lykurg reached. I didn't think of it this way but you're both right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lykurg View Post
    שלום,

I am afraid but this is OS specific since you want to change the keyboard layout. But I am sure you can change it via the system API every time the line edit gets the focus. (Or, ask the user for the shortcuts he normal uses to change the kb layout and trigger it programmatic.)

Or (not the best way) install a event handler and check for keyboard inputs and transform e.g. a "D" to "ד".

Lykurg
    שלום וברכה

I think that to trigger the key combination programmatically is the best choice. But I have no idea how to go about it. How would I trigger, for example, a shift and an alt keypress together as an input to the QLineEdit?

Thanks again

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

since I am a fan of subclassing, I made a small example with subclassing QLineEdit, but the same could be achieved with an event filter.
    Qt Code:
    1. class HebrewInput : public QLineEdit
    2. {
    3. public:
    4. HebrewInput(QWidget *parent = 0) : QLineEdit(parent)
    5. {
    6. setLocale(QLocale::Hebrew);
    7. }
    9. protected:
    10. void keyPressEvent ( QKeyEvent * event )
    11. {
    12. event->accept();
    13. // determine which key is pressed and what hebrew letter it should be. ("switch" over event->key())
    14. QKeyEvent e(QEvent::KeyPress,
    15. Qt::Key_unknown,
    16. Qt::NoModifier,
    17. QString::fromUtf8("ש"));
    18. QLineEdit::keyPressEvent(&e);
    19. }
    20. };
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

@Lykurg

Thanks again. That'll work perfectly.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Isn't it easier to switch the keyboard layout on focusInEvent and switch it back on focusOutEvent?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Sorry for being obtuse, but how do I switch the keyboard layout?

P.S in QApplication I found two function that might help: keyboardInputDirection() and keyboardInputLocale() but unfortunately they have no set equivalent.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I never have done that myself and on linux it might be complicated because it depends on the graphical environment (KDE, Gnome, ...).

For windows you can have a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=VS.85%29.aspx: ActivateKeyboardLayout, GetKeyboardLayout and GetKeyboardLayoutList.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

On KDE there is probably some dbus call that will do the trick.