Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Qwt-6.0.0-rc1

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Qwt-6.0.0-rc1

Quote Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
    No, the headers are always in "/usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-rc1/include", even if lib_bundle is set.
    Ok then I need to remove the install directive for the headers in src.pro in case of qt_framework.

I added the line "QMAKE_FRAMEWORKPATH *= $${QWT_INSTALL_PREFIX}" to the qwt.prf but the very same error (framework not found) persists. But this should not be unusual since at compile time, the framework is not yet installed in $${QWT_INSTALL_PREFIX}.
    qwt.prf is for building your application after qwt has been installed. So my question was about what happens, when you have changed qwt.prf + built and installed everything and then you try to build your application with "CONFIG += qwt".

About building qwt: I thought you could build designer plugin and examples successfully when "CONFIG += lib_bundle" was added without any further changes ?

If not the local directory of the framework ( in the build directory ) needs to be added to QMAKE_FRAMEWORKPATH in the project files used for building qwt. Please try this.

Uwe

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    qwt.prf is for building your application after qwt has been installed. So my question was about what happens, when you have changed qwt.prf + built and installed everything and then you try to build your application with "CONFIG += qwt".
    Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. I tried it, and the linking aborts with "ld: symbol(s) not found" (the messages before this "last" error message are referring to the unknown qwt-class symbols, I think pasting them doesn't make much sense)

About building qwt: I thought you could build designer plugin and examples successfully when "CONFIG += lib_bundle" was added without any further changes ?
    No, this only works if I move the framework-folder manually to "/Library/Frameworks". I have not yet managed to make the compiler "automatically" look in "/usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-rc1/".

If not the local directory of the framework ( in the build directory ) needs to be added to QMAKE_FRAMEWORKPATH in the project files used for building qwt. Please try this.
    I already had tried all variants of directories (including the one in the build directory), without success.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks for your reply, gedrite!
    I will try a bit more in a few days and if I fail I will start a new thread listing all my attempts... or perhaps just switch to Linux where I have got it all to work before. =)
    Anyway, thanks!

Cheers!
    /Tottish

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11

Hi Uwe,

I have been using version 6.0 off the developers svn trunk for a while now and using the qwt.prf/qwtconfig.prf method of install and configuring and it is working fine for me.

tim

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. I tried it, and the linking aborts with "ld: symbol(s) not found" (the messages before this "last" error message are referring to the unknown qwt-class symbols, I think pasting them doesn't make much sense)
    Ah sorry I read the wrong piece of code in qtAddLibrary. After looking around in other qmake files I would guess the -F option is what we are looking for. So f.e in designer.pro:

Qt Code:
    1. LIBS += -F$${QWT_ROOT}/lib
    2. qtAddLibrary(qwt)
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

If this doesn't work please check the man page of ld, what the right option is to add a path to a framework.

Uwe

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Hi Tim,
    Quote Originally Posted by twells5 View Post
    ... it is working fine for me.
    The problems of mariposa are specific for working with frameworks on the Mac. What environment are you using ?

Uwe

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Ah sorry I read the wrong piece of code in qtAddLibrary. After looking around in other qmake files I would guess the -F option is what we are looking for. So f.e in designer.pro:

Qt Code:
    1. LIBS += -F$${QWT_ROOT}/lib
    2. qtAddLibrary(qwt)
    Yes, that worked. I changed the "LIBS"-lines for the examples and designer-plugin as indicated in your post, and it compiled fine

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Tottish View Post
    Thanks for your reply, gedrite!
    I will try a bit more in a few days and if I fail I will start a new thread listing all my attempts... or perhaps just switch to Linux where I have got it all to work before. =)
    Anyway, thanks!

Cheers!
    /Tottish
    See the bottome two sections on this page: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtcreator-2....g-plugins.html

It clearly explains the msvc/mingw & QtCreator/plugin requirements.
    Last edited by gedrite; 14th October 2010 at 03:02.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Yes, that worked. I changed the "LIBS"-lines for the examples and designer-plugin as indicated in your post, and it compiled fine
    I have updated the qmake project files according to what we have learned.

Please check SVN trunk if everything compiles and installs ( headers should be installed inside the framework only ) without any manual interfering. If successful please try to use "CONFIG += qwt" and check if this is working too.

Uwe

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Please check SVN trunk if everything compiles and installs ( headers should be installed inside the framework only ) without any manual interfering. If successful please try to use "CONFIG += qwt" and check if this is working too.
    I really would like to report something better, but there are some issues left:

1.) On the mac, there is still only the debug library being built by default. For testing purposes I changed that, of course.

2.) The designer plugin links fine, but this does not apply to the examples. I had to change the "-L" option in line 20 of examples.pri to the "-F" option to make it work. After that everything compiled and installed fine.

3.) Unfortunately, now there aren't any header files installed at all. Only one header file is present in the framework directory. I have a screenshot of all contents of "/usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-svn/":

folder.png

Therefore I didn't test compiling my application against the library, because (as far as I know) this won't work without header files.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I really would like to report something better, but there are some issues left:
    Writing project files for a system I don't have is somehow cumbersome - anyway some day we will have a solution.

1.) On the mac, there is still only the debug library being built by default.
    In SVN debug is always enabled, but the script, that builds packages from SVN branches modifies the pri files. This was buggy for rc1, but in this situation it is o.k.

2.) The designer plugin links fine, but this does not apply to the examples. I had to change the "-L" option in line 20 of examples.pri to the "-F" option to make it work.
    Indeed I forgot to fix the project file of the designer + made several other mistakes.

3.) Unfortunately, now there aren't any header files installed at all. Only one header file is present in the framework directory. I have a screenshot of all contents of "/usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-svn/":.
    Of course the one header is also false ...

Concerning the missing headers in the framework directory I guess when removing headers from INSTALL the behaviour of lib_bundle is affected. I hope explicitely setting QMAKE_BUNDLE_DATA will solve this problem ( the code that had no effect in your test before ).

Please check the updated SVN trunk.

Uwe

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

In SVN debug is always enabled, but the script, that builds packages from SVN branches modifies the pri files. This was buggy for rc1, but in this situation it is o.k.
    Ah, okay

Please check the updated SVN trunk.
    I checked, and it worked. It compiled at once, and all header files are at the right place. No errors during the compilation of the examples and designer plugin.

I wanted to compile my application using "CONFIG += qwt", but I always got errors about missing headers, so obviously the qwt.prf file was not found by qmake. I checked the link that you posted some time ago (on how to make qmake know where the .prf file is), but setting "QMAKEFEATURES = /usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-svn/features" in my project file did not help. I therefore just loaded the file using "load(/usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-svn/features/qwt.prf)" and omitted the "CONFIG += qwt" line. This worked.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I checked, and it worked. It compiled at once, and all header files are at the right place. No errors during the compilation of the examples and designer plugin.
    Please one more check: is everything okay, when you build Qwt for debug and release ?

Qt Code:
    1. CONFIG += debug_and_release
    2. CONFIG += build_all

I wanted to compile my application using "CONFIG += qwt", but I always got errors about missing headers, so obviously the qwt.prf file was not found by qmake. I checked the link that you posted some time ago (on how to make qmake know where the .prf file is), but setting "QMAKEFEATURES = /usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-svn/features" in my project file did not help.
    This is a environment variable, so do "export QMAKEFEATURES = /usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-svn/features" in the shell ( assuming it is a bash ), where you execute qmake.

Or if you want to have it permanently you can set it as qmake property: "qmake -set QMAKEFEATURES /usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-svn/features".

Uwe

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Please one more check: is everything okay, when you build Qwt for debug and release ?
    I checked, everything works fine.

This is a environment variable, so do "export QMAKEFEATURES = /usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-svn/features" in the shell ( assuming it is a bash ), where you execute qmake.

Or if you want to have it permanently you can set it as qmake property: "qmake -set QMAKEFEATURES /usr/local/qwt-6.0.0-svn/features".
    Ah, many thanks, now it works using the "CONFIG += qwt" option

Qt products
    Qt4

Hello,

I installed qwt library and all the examples are built without problems.
    However when I create a project I can't use Qwt.

I tried:
    export QMAKEFEATURES = /usr/local/qwt-6.0.0/features
    qmake -set QMAKEFEATURES /usr/local/qwt-6.0.0/features

The qwt.prf file is in the specified directory.

But when Im building the project I still get the error:
    /home/mribeiro/Qt_Projects/QwtTest/qwttest: error while loading shared libraries: libqwt.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    /home/mribeiro/Qt_Projects/QwtTest/qwttest exited with code 127
    The contens of .pro file are:
    Qt Code:
    1. TARGET = qwttest
    3. SOURCES += main.cpp \
    4. mainwindow.cpp \
    5. plot.cpp \
    6. curvedata.cpp \
    7. signaldata.cpp
    8. HEADERS += mainwindow.h \
    9. plot.h \
    10. curvedata.h \
    11. signaldata.h
    13. CONFIG += qwt

What am I doing wrong?

[Im using Ubuntu 10.04]
    Last edited by msr; 25th May 2011 at 02:30.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by msr View Post
    But when Im building the project I still get the error: ...
    No you already have built your application successfully - these are error messages of the loader !

See LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ldd, ldconfig and friends.

Uwe

Qt products
    Qt4

Thanks for your response.

I tried the following:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/qwt-6.0.0/lib/
    Edit file /etc/ld.so.conf and include "/usr/local/qwt-6.0.0/lib/"
    Run ldconfig
    Run ldconfig -n "/usr/local/qwt-6.0.0/lib"
    None of them worked.

Any suggestions?

Im also reading http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Librar...libraries.html and I think Im doing the right thing but it still doesn't work...

Qt Code:
    1. mribeiro@mribeiro-linux:/usr/local/lib/qwt-6.0.0/lib$ ls
    2. libqwtmathml.so libqwtmathml.so.6.0 libqwt.so libqwt.so.6.0
    3. libqwtmathml.so.6 libqwtmathml.so.6.0.0 libqwt.so.6 libqwt.so.6.0.0

Edit1:
    Well, I copy-pasted libqwt.so.6 to /usr/lib and now it works. However I wonder how can I configure loader to search libraries in other directories. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit2: Done! For further reference: create a file "*.conf" (f.e., qwt.conf) in "/etc/ld.so.conf.d/" and add path "/usr/local/qwt-6.0.0/lib"
    Last edited by msr; 26th May 2011 at 00:24.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Good afternoon,

I am continuing a project that colleague started and he is using qwt. Now, I use a Mac whereas the project used a PC and would love to port it and use Qwt, however I am experiencing the same problems listed here from 5 years ago regarding -F and -L libraries.

I have no experience using Qt and haven't had any success making Qwt in the past few days with the help of this thread and a few others.

I am trying to use the release version of 6.1.2.

Thanks

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Hi Tim,

The problems of mariposa are specific for working with frameworks on the Mac. What environment are you using ?

Uwe
    I added these lines to my designer project file but did not overcome my issue

rm -f libqwt_designer_plugin.dylib
    linking plugins/designer/libqwt_designer_plugin.dylib
    ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/private/tmp/qt20151227-81699-ciya8n/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.7/lib'
    ld: warning: directory not found for option '-F/private/tmp/qt20151227-81699-ciya8n/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.7/lib'
    mv -f libqwt_designer_plugin.dylib plugins/designer/
    I am at a loss on how to link these files.

I would really like to stick with Qwt for this project if possible