Thread: Cannot build diagram example under Windows 7,incomplete QGraphicsItem ckass

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Unhappy Re: Cannot build diagram example under Windows 7,incomplete QGraphicsItem ckass

This is my first time with Qt and I am trying to build the Diagram example from chapter 8 of 'C++ Gui Programming with Qt 4'. I am using 32 bit Windows 7 with the latest Qt just downloaded, open source model. I have Cygwin with mingw. I installed Qt in the usual way using the installer with all defaults selected.

The first problem I had was that qmake produced a Makefile.Debug that referenced -lmingw32 without also including <qt>/mingw/lib in the library search path. This caused the link step to fail with undefined library mingw32. I fixed this by adding

LIBS += -L'C:/Qt/2010.05/mingw/lib' -lmingw32

to the end of diagram.pro. Now the link step complains about incomplete classes in QtGui, specifically QGraphicsItem. Here is the output from the link step:

g++ -enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc -mthreads -Wl -Wl,-subsystem,windows -o debug/diagram.exe debug/diagramwindow.o debug/link.o debug/main.o debug/node.o debug/propertiesdialog.o debug/moc_diagramwindow.o debug/moc_propertiesdialog.o debug/qrc_resources.o -L'c:/Qt/2010.05/qt/lib' -lmingw32 -lqtmaind -LC:/Qt/2010.05/mingw/lib -lmingw32 -lQtGuid4 -lQtCored4
    debug/diagramwindow.o:/home/aheirich/Desktop/editor/diagram/diagramwindow.cpp:275: undefined reference to `typeinfo for QGraphicsItem'
    debug/diagramwindow.o:/home/aheirich/Desktop/editor/diagram/diagramwindow.cpp:265: undefined reference to `typeinfo for QGraphicsItem'
    debug/diagramwindow.o:/home/aheirich/Desktop/editor/diagram/diagramwindow.cpp:285: undefined reference to `typeinfo for QGraphicsItem'
    debug/diagramwindow.o:/home/aheirich/Desktop/editor/diagram/diagramwindow.cpp:286: undefined reference to `typeinfo for QGraphicsItem'
    debug/diagramwindow.o:/home/aheirich/Desktop/editor/diagram/diagramwindow.cpp:57: undefined reference to `typeinfo for QGraphicsItem'
    debug/link.o:link.cpp.rdata$_ZTI4Link typeinfo for Link]+0x8): undefined reference to `typeinfo for QGraphicsLineItem'

The undefined reference to 'typeinfo for c' means that class c contains virtual functions for which no definitions were found. I looked inside class QGraphicsItem and it certainly has many non-pure virtual functions so this may be true. I did not try to match up the definitions in QGraphicsItem.cpp so I didn't identify which functions were at fault. This simply should not be happening, or everyone would be having this problem using QGraphicsItem????

Is this a known problem? A problem only under Windows 7?

Added after 8 minutes:

Some further info. I tried #including each of the missing classes in the source files referred to in the error messages, for example in diagramwindow.cpp I added
    #include <QGraphicsItem>
    This did not solve the problem.

Added after 50 minutes:

Just to factor things further: I eliminated most of the contents of diagramwindow.cpp as shown below. This removes the diagram example from being a factor, this simply invokes a Qt class in a dynamic_cast. The error messages correspond to the two dynamic_cast statements below:

Qt Code:
    1. #include <QGraphicsItem>
    2. #include <QtGui>
    4. #include "diagramwindow.h"
    5. #include "link.h"
    6. #include "node.h"
    7. #include "propertiesdialog.h"
    9. #if 0
    10. ...
    11. #endif////remove this
    13. DiagramWindow::NodePair DiagramWindow::selectedNodePair() const
    14. {
    15. QList<QGraphicsItem *> items = scene->selectedItems();
    16. if (items.count() == 2) {
    17. Node *first = dynamic_cast<Node *>(items.first());
    18. Node *second = dynamic_cast<Node *>(items.last());
    19. if (first && second)
    20. return NodePair(first, second);
    21. }
    22. return NodePair();
    23. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

The example seems to show that you cannot use a QGraphicsItem * in a dynamic_cast,but this seems impossible for two reasons: 1. it means that QtGui is fundamentally broken; 2. this diagram example presumably used to work under Qt 4 (since it is included with the book for Qt 4).
    Last edited by aheirich; 18th December 2010 at 05:38.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Cannot build diagram example under Windows 7,incomplete QGraphicsItem ckass

Try using qgraphicsitem_cast<>() instead of dynamic cast. This seems an rtti issue to me.
    Horse sense is the thing that keeps horses from betting on people. --W.C. Fields

Ask Smart Questions

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Cannot build diagram example under Windows 7,incomplete QGraphicsItem ckass

I'd say you built Qt without rtti support.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

I didn't build Qt, I installed it from the download. I'll have to read about rtti.
    thanks

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

update: the problem is definitely that the Open Source version of Qt on Windows is built without rtti support. There is no way to build the example program (chapter 8 diagram) without rtti. So I tried to build Qt from sources on windows. What a disaster. Suffice it to save I will save you a couple of paragraphs to conclude that I have given up on the Open Source Qt for Windows, it is not quality-assured enough. Building it doesn't work, in myriad ways. And without rtti I cannot use it.

On to the mac. But I am having problems there too! But that is another thread.

Added after 37 minutes:

All is well on the Mac, so I will continue work there. Windows has too many problems.
    Last edited by aheirich; 19th December 2010 at 05:38.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by aheirich View Post
    So I tried to build Qt from sources on windows. What a disaster. Suffice it to save I will save you a couple of paragraphs to conclude that I have given up on the Open Source Qt for Windows, it is not quality-assured enough. Building it doesn't work, in myriad ways. And without rtti I cannot use it.
    I will have to check that but I think rtti should be enabled by default. As for building Qt, I have never had any serious problems with it. Maybe if you tell us what is wrong, we would be able to help you.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Well, I found that many problems were because I was trying to build under Cygwin. I didn't know about the mingw32 prompt. Right now it is building for me, keep fingers crossed. Then I will see if I can build the diagram example.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Yes it builds the example and it runs. Thanks to mingw32.