Thread: QTreeView + QFileSystemModel = VERY slow on some Windows machines

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question QTreeView + QFileSystemModel = VERY slow on some Windows machines

Hi,

I have a QTreeView-based widget which I use to have some kind of a file browser within my application. Apart from a couple of initialisation problems, everything works I expect on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, except for the fact that on my work machine, it takes several seconds for my QTreeView-based widget to initialise. I believe the problem might be related to QFileSystemModel taken for ever. In fact, I have experienced very long delays with Windows Explorer on Windows machine in the past (not on my current work computer though). Still, the user experience is really bad and I was therefore wondering whether anyone had ever experienced that before and, if so, whether they had found a solution to that problem?

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: QTreeView + QFileSystemModel = VERY slow on some Windows machines

I still don't have a solution to my problem, but the culprit is setRootPath() which I call as follows:
    Qt Code:
    1. mFileSystemModel->setRootPath("");
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    i.e. wanting access to the whole file system. If I disable that line, everything is fine. I am really starting to think that it's a pure Windows problem though...

I still don't have a solution to my problem, but the culprit is setRootPath() which I call as follows:
    Qt Code:
    1. mFileSystemModel->setRootPath("");
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    i.e. wanting access to the whole file system. If I disable that line, everything is fine. I am really starting to think that it's a pure Windows problem though...

Added after 51 minutes:

For what it is worth, I can now confirm that the problem was with Windows. There is a useful article about What to Do if Windows Explorer is Slow to Respond? Personally, I followed their suggestion on page 2 under the Advanced Tweaks for a Windows Explorer Slow to Respond Problem section and now, after rebooting my work computer, everything is fine.
    Last edited by agarny; 21st February 2011 at 17:34.