Thread: Plugins HowTo?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question Plugins HowTo?

I hope someone can help me, I am trying to learn how to develop a simple plugin system.

I am running Qt4.1.4 compiled with MingW on Windows XP.

I have tried following the Qt documentation and some of the threads on this forum but cannot get it working.

I have attached my code, don't laugh , so maybe some of you wise people can help.

Thanks,
    Royce
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Plugins HowTo?

You must compile both the plugin and application in the same mode, so you have to add "CONFIG += release" to PluginExample.pro.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

i am trying to compile the plugin and get the following error:

B:\Programming\PluginExample\PluginExample\plugins _source>qmake && make
    make -f Makefile.Release
    make[1]: Entering directory `B:/Programming/PluginExample/PluginExample/plugins_source'
    g++ -c -O2 -O2 -frtti -fexceptions -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DMY_LIB_DLL -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_PLUGIN -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -
    I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include/QtCore" -I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include/QtGui" -I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include" -I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include/ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"." -I"c:\Devel
    \Qt\4.1.4\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o release\helloworld_plugin.o helloworld_plugin.cpp
    c:\Devel\Qt\4.1.4\bin\moc.exe -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DMY_LIB_DLL -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_PLUGIN -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I"C:/Devel/
    Qt/4.1.4/include/QtCore" -I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include/QtGui" -I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include" -I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include/ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"." -I"c:\Devel\Qt\4.1.4\m
    kspecs\win32-g++" -D__GNUC__ -DWIN32 helloworld_plugin.h -o release\moc_helloworld_plugin.cpp
    g++ -c -O2 -O2 -frtti -fexceptions -Wall -DUNICODE -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DMY_LIB_DLL -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_PLUGIN -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -
    I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include/QtCore" -I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include/QtGui" -I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include" -I"C:/Devel/Qt/4.1.4/include/ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"." -I"c:\Devel
    \Qt\4.1.4\mkspecs\win32-g++" -o release\moc_helloworld_plugin.o release\moc_helloworld_plugin.cpp
    g++ -mthreads -Wl,-enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc -Wl,-s -Wl,-s -shared -Wl,--out-implib,..\plugins\libhelloworld_plugin.a
    -o "..\plugins\helloworld_plugin.dll" release\helloworld_plugin.o release\moc_helloworld_plugin.o -L"c:\Devel\Qt\4.1.4\lib" -lQtGui -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -loleaut32 -limm32
    -lwinmm -lwinspool -lmsimg32 -lQtCore -lkernel32 -luser32 -lshell32 -luuid -lole32 -ladvapi32 -lws2_32
    Creating library file: ..\plugins\libhelloworld_plugin.a
    release\helloworld_plugin.o(.text+0x33):helloworld _plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN7QString11shared_nullE'
    release\helloworld_plugin.o(.text+0x6a):helloworld _plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN7QString9fromAsciiEPKci'
    release\helloworld_plugin.o(.text+0x7f):helloworld _plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN7QStringaSERKS_'
    release\helloworld_plugin.o(.text+0xfe):helloworld _plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN7QString4freeEPNS_4DataE'
    release\helloworld_plugin.o(.text+0x122):helloworl d_plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN7QString4freeEPNS_4DataE'
    release\helloworld_plugin.o(.text+0x14f):helloworl d_plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN11QMetaObject11removeGuardEPP7QObject'
    release\helloworld_plugin.o(.text+0x21f):helloworl d_plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN7QObjectC2EPS_'
    release\helloworld_plugin.o(.text+0x254):helloworl d_plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN11QMetaObject11changeGuardEPP7QObjectS1_ '
    release\moc_helloworld_plugin.o(.text+0xd2):moc_he lloworld_plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN7QObject16staticMetaObjectE'
    release\moc_helloworld_plugin.o(.text$_ZN16HelloWo rldPluginD1Ev[HelloWorldPlugin::~HelloWorldPlugin()]+0x1b):moc_helloworld_plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN7
    QObjectD2Ev'
    release\moc_helloworld_plugin.o(.text$_ZN16HelloWo rldPluginD0Ev[HelloWorldPlugin::~HelloWorldPlugin()]+0x1c):moc_helloworld_plugin.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp___ZN7
    QObjectD2Ev'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[1]: *** [..\plugins\helloworld_plugin.dll] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `B:/Programming/PluginExample/PluginExample/plugins_source'
    make: *** [release] Error 2
    Thanks,
    Royce
    Last edited by wysota; 18th October 2006 at 10:31. Reason: Changed [code] into [quote] to allow text wrapping

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

OK this may seem an extremely newbish reponse. But do I have to compile Qt into shared mode to allow plugins for my apps to be created?

It is just I downloaded Qt 4.2 and compiled a shared build instead of a static build. I was then able to compile my plugin into a .dll with no errors.

Royce

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Qt is by default compiled in shared mode. You have to provide a "-static" parameter to configure to build a static library. If you want to use plugins, then of course you need a shared build.