Thread: Visual Studio 2008 wizard for generating Qt makefile projects

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Visual Studio 2008 wizard for generating Qt makefile projects

I would like to announce that my Visual Studio 2008 wizard for generating Qt makefile projects is now available.

I generally need to create a large number of small Qt test projects and found creating makefile projects rather cumbersome and time consuming. As a result, I decided to create a Visual Studio 2008 wizard that automated the task. You can download the installer from my projects page at: http://www.sanfordfreedman.com/personal/projects/. At the moment, console, gui, and static library projects have received the most testing. If you like this wizard, please link to my projects page instead of hosting a copy or linking directly to the executable.
    Last edited by sandytf; 21st May 2008 at 22:29.

Thanks

Default Re: Visual Studio 2008 wizard for generating Qt makefile projects

it seems pretty cool!
    Can you write a tutorial about how to create it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Quote Originally Posted by sandytf View Post
    I generally need to create a large number of small Qt test projects and found creating makefile projects rather cumbersome and time consuming.
    Did you know that qmake can generate Visual Studio projects?
    J-P Nurmi

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

For anyone interested in how the wizard works, there are a number of good tutorials on the web about creating Visual Studio wizards. The process is actually very simple. In fact, Visual Studio can even create default wizards for you. Except for a few icons, the entire wizard consists of text files so if you extract the contents of the installer you can view the "source" (you can also find the text files within your Visual Studio's VC directory if you have already installed the wizard). If you click "view details" while installing the wizard, it will provide a complete list of files and locations.

I know that qmake can generate Visual Studio projects. There are three reasons why I created this wizard. First, the wizard allows for easy creation of Qt projects in a manner consistent with creating other projects within Visual Studio. Second, I personally find the wizard more convenient than other methods. Third, I wanted to learn how to create a wizard in Visual Studio. This is actually a very beneficial task for anyone who frequently uses Visual Studio as it reveals some of how the program works.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

The location of the wizard has changed to: http://www.sanfordfreedman.com/utilities/index.html. Also, since I have started working on a version for Visual Studio 2010, the name has been changed to QtWizard 2008.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I just released a beta version of QtWizard 2012. This version supports Visual Studio 2012, Qt 5.1+, and provides Windows XP support. While a beta version, the wizard should be stable enough for daily use. The installer can be downloaded from my website: http://www.sanfordfreedman.com/utilities. In addition to QtWizard, my website also has directions for compiling Qt 5.1 with Visual C++ 2012 while maintaining support for Windows XP. These directions can be found at: http://www.sanfordfreedman.com/QtInstallationAndSetup.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I just updated the QtWizard 2012 to version Beta 2 (0.2.0.0). You can download it here: http://www.sanfordfreedman.com/utilities/. The main changes are adding (a lot) more include paths to intellisense and fixing a bug where main.cpp was not listed as a source when creating a console application.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I just updated the QtWizard 2012 to Beta 3. This change fixes an issue that prevented the wizard from running properly on most computers.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

What advantage does your plugin have over the Qt VS Add-in from Digia?