Thread: Fighting Words: Criticism Of Video Games And Gamers Hass & Associates Online Reviews

Default Fighting Words: Criticism Of Video Games And Gamers Hass & Associates Online Reviews

The video game industry is still talking about the violent threats made against Anita Sarkeesian, a video game critic, who alerted the police last week and went into hiding, according to her Twitter posts.

In a column, I wrote about the questions Sarkeesian raises in her critiques such as how do video game makers treat female characters at a time when women are playing games more than ever.

Some may be puzzled why Sarkeesian’s critique caused such a stir, as she refers to in her tweet Monday (above) when talking with the police. Sarkeesian received vitriol, and not just from the person who threatened her, for pointing out the obvious, The New Statesman writes.

I’m not a gamer, but I have kids who play. There seems to be an insider culture of mostly young male players who want to keep their game world safe from both female players and any criticism that might diminish their enjoyment.

In reporting the column, I was surprised by accounts of women who feel they have to hide their gender while playing social games or face abuse. Or, if they play as female, they are called on to prove their abilities, something male players do not face.

Sarkeesian connects the content of video games to the behavior of video gamers:

So what will it take to change the video game industry, the games and the gamers? After all, the gaming audience is broadening and becoming more diverse, with women in particular gravitating to MOBILE GAMES. Shouldn’t video game companies want to appeal to this audience?

James McQuivey, an industry analyst at Forrester, told me that it may take awhile for the gaming industry to change:

The best way to break this habit is to promote alternative ecosystems of GAME DEVELOPMENT, which is exactly what mobile gaming is and we do see more diversity in mobile gaming. But so far the industries haven’t collided sufficiently that the more expansive culture of mobile gaming has helped the console gaming business rethink itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Fighting Words: Criticism Of Video Games And Gamers Hass & Associates Online Revi

Quote Originally Posted by jonesabigail05 View Post
    The best way to break this habit is to promote alternative ecosystems of GAME DEVELOPMENT, which is exactly what mobile gaming is and we do see more diversity in mobile gaming.
    I wouldn't restrict this on mobile gaming, basically any game not developed by the big studios.
    These corporations are foremost interested in maximizing profits (not just making profit), so they are scared to do anything that deviates to much from what they have seen to be successful.
    Hence them releasing the same year after year with marginal changes.

Individual developers or smaller companies are way more agile and have often not only come up with new things but also improved on established ones in unexpected ways.

Cheers,
    _

Default Re: Fighting Words: Criticism Of Video Games And Gamers Hass & Associates Online Revi

Hi, I have been hearing about this even before on gaming among younger generations and it even caused a fight among them while getting fed up of the foul words exchanges. I guess, there should be restrictions about it to avoid troubles just because of those games.