Thread: Embedded GUI design patterns

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Embedded GUI design patterns

I am starting a new project on embedded industrial systems with Linux Yocto on FreeScale iMX6 and I am wondering which design patterns should I use to decouple the GUI from the system behaviour.

My concerns are:

1) maybe Qt5 is a good choice but I would like also to be able to control the industrial system from a tablet with Android or from a remote desktop or, why not, to be free to select another framework and not being dependent from Qt for life

2) the Linux system can be controlled acting on the filesystem (/dev and /sys/class ...) so, should I include the code to open/close files directly into the GUI as Qt actions ?

3) will be better to create a state machine independent from the GUI implementation and to include in the GUI actions just the code to interact with the state machine ?

4) how about to use a light web server and to develop the GUI as a website ?

I would be glad if someone could recommend a book or articles or personal opinions. Thank you in advance

Andrew

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Embedded GUI design patterns

2) the Linux system can be controlled acting on the filesystem (/dev and /sys/class ...) so, should I include the code to open/close files directly into the GUI as Qt actions ?
    For this I can say is you can develop a Qt library as a wrapper to control the system.
    Then you can use this library in Qt Widgets / QML.

If you opt for using web server, you may re-use the Qt wrapper library from the html. (Not sure how, but Qt Hybrid application examples can be a start).

May be this helps

3. The following user says thank you to aamer4yu for this useful post:

atessadri (26th November 2014)