Thread: Where/ how do I set Mkspec : default?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Where/ how do I set Mkspec : default?

Hello All,

I'm new to the Qt and raspberry pi. I was trying to install Qt on raspberry pi following the instructions on wiki.qt.io. Could someone please help me with where / how do I set Mkspec : default at? I tried couple of posts but couldn't really figure out what to do. If anyone can help me with this it would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Where/ how do I set Mkspec : default?

You can change the make spec being used by qmake using the QMAKESPEC environment variable, the -spec command line option, and possibly make that permanent with qmake -set. The default normally matches the built library for a good rason though.

What part of which instructions are asking you to do this? Please provide a link to the wiki page and step.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Hello ChrisW67,

Here's the link " https://wiki.qt.io/Apt-get_Qt4_on_the_Raspberry_Pi " that I'm following and in the last but one section "I added a gcc toolchain" part it says Mkspec: default. I couldn't figure that out. I'm not able to launch Qt creator from Menu>Programming>Qt Creator. I need to issue the command "sudo qtcreator -noload Welcome" on the terminal. And also the Welcome plugin which we find it to the left is missing on Qt creator when it opens. I'm sorry to overwhelm you with my questions. I request for your guide in setting up Qt. I'm trying learn and get some understanding about it. I really appreciate your valuable time.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Is there a value already in the mkspecs box? I think the instruction means, "leave it at the default value", not "change the value to default." Where this value appears depends on exactly which Qt Creator version you have

The Welcome plugin is missing because the command you launch Qt Creator with tells it not to load that plugin. This is because the Pi does not have the necessary OpenGL or other graphics support the plugin requires. Loading it will probably leave a black screen in Creator or hang it totally.
    Last edited by ChrisW67; 9th October 2015 at 23:01. Reason: updated contents

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I don't see the mkspecs box in the window, so I cleaned up the memory card and did a fresh installation(following the same link again). Tried to launch qtcreator from the programs it doesn't open, I tried to open it from the terminal using the command qtcreator and I get the following error same as earlier. I was wondering where I'm going wrong.

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
    No tool chain set from kit "Desktop".
    No tool chain set from kit "Desktop".
    Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config 125
    Could not initialize EGL
    Aborted

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

That looks like you are missing some necessary kernel or library support to use OpenGL ES in your Pi's X11 environment. The "-noload Welcome" option is supposed to avoid the main GL conponent of Creator, and running it as root will remove permission issues from play.

I am not very familiar with RPi requirements in this area. You may be better off asking in an RPi forum.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Thanks Chris, I'll try posting it on the Raspberry pi forum. I appreciate your valuable time in replying to my post.