Thread: Is FilterPointsAggressive property using max-min decimation algorithm?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Question Is FilterPointsAggressive property using max-min decimation algorithm?

so is this algorithm used when that property is checked?
    http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/all...2576020075F784

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Is FilterPointsAggressive property using max-min decimation algorithm?

The basic idea is the same, but as the page does not explain its algo ( only the effect ) and I can't tell you how similar it is to what Qwt does.

In Qwt sequences of lines, that end up at the same x position are replaced by a maximum of 3 vertical lines, so that the outcome remains being a polygon ( the same is implemented for y coordinates and horizontal lines ).

• entering point
    • minimum
    • maximum
    • leaving point

So in the worst case you have 3 lines per pixel + 1 line connecting the pixels.

In general it would also be possible to have even less lines by giving up having a polygon of connected lines. This would lead to even less work for the raster paint engine as the path "enter-min-max-leave" might have to pass some pixels twice.

Uwe

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Is FilterPointsAggressive property using max-min decimation algorithm?

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    In general it would also be possible to have even less lines by giving up having a polygon of connected lines. T
    Am I understanding correctly, that you are saying that I can plot just dots, not lines? I.e. a dot plot, instead of the line plot?

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by r2com View Post
    Am I understanding correctly, that you are saying that I can plot just dots, not lines? I.e. a dot plot, instead of the line plot?
    Of course you can print dots as well - this is what QwtPlotCurve::Dots style does ( a scatter plot ). If you want to go this way have a look at the scatterplot example. It does a completely different type of optimization, one that works for unordered points, is independent of hardware acceleration ( no OpenGL required ) and can be processed multithreaded.

But this is totally unrelated to my previous answers.

Uwe

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    In general it would also be possible to have even less lines by giving up having a polygon of connected lines.
    I am not quite understanding what you mean? How can I do it on my side? Or is it something what has to be coded inside SVN trunk cor Qwt itself?