Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Problem with QXmlStreamReader

Hi!
    I'm having trouble reading the follwing Xml file:

Qt Code:
    1. <ArrayOfScore xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><Score><GameKey>201610629</GameKey><SeasonType>1</SeasonType><Season>2016</Season><Week>6</Week><Date>2016-10-13T20:25:00</Date><AwayTeam>DEN</AwayTeam><HomeTeam>SD</HomeTeam><AwayScore>13</AwayScore><HomeScore>21</HomeScore><Channel i:nil="true"/><PointSpread>3.0</PointSpread><OverUnder>44.5</OverUnder><Quarter>F</Quarter><TimeRemaining i:nil="true"/><Possession i:nil="true"/><Down i:nil="true"/><Distance i:nil="true"/><YardLine i:nil="true"/><YardLineTerritory i:nil="true"/><RedZone i:nil="true"/><AwayScoreQuarter1>0</AwayScoreQuarter1><AwayScoreQuarter2>3</AwayScoreQuarter2><AwayScoreQuarter3>0</AwayScoreQuarter3><AwayScoreQuarter4>10</AwayScoreQuarter4><AwayScoreOvertime>0</AwayScoreOvertime><HomeScoreQuarter1>7</HomeScoreQuarter1><HomeScoreQuarter2>3</HomeScoreQuarter2><HomeScoreQuarter3>9</HomeScoreQuarter3><HomeScoreQuarter4>2</HomeScoreQuarter4><HomeScoreOvertime>0</HomeScoreOvertime><HasStarted>true</HasStarted><IsInProgress>false</IsInProgress><IsOver>true</IsOver><Has1stQuarterStarted>true</Has1stQuarterStarted><Has2ndQuarterStarted>true</Has2ndQuarterStarted><Has3rdQuarterStarted>true</Has3rdQuarterStarted><Has4thQuarterStarted>true</Has4thQuarterStarted><IsOvertime>false</IsOvertime><DownAndDistance i:nil="true"/><QuarterDescription>Final</QuarterDescription><StadiumID>14</StadiumID><LastUpdated>2016-10-17T14:27:48</LastUpdated><GeoLat>32.783188</GeoLat><GeoLong>-117.119439</GeoLong><ForecastTempLow>58</ForecastTempLow><ForecastTempHigh>76</ForecastTempHigh><ForecastDescription>Sunny</ForecastDescription><ForecastWindChill>70</ForecastWindChill><ForecastWindSpeed>14</ForecastWindSpeed><AwayTeamMoneyLine>-160</AwayTeamMoneyLine><HomeTeamMoneyLine>140</HomeTeamMoneyLine><Canceled>false</Canceled><Closed>true</Closed><LastPlay i:nil="true"/><StadiumDetails><StadiumID>14</StadiumID><Name>Qualcomm Stadium</Name><City>San Diego</City><State>CA</State><Country>USA</Country><Capacity>70561</Capacity><PlayingSurface>Grass</PlayingSurface><GeoLat>32.783188</GeoLat><GeoLong>-117.119439</GeoLong></StadiumDetails></Score></ArrayOfScore>
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

I use the following code to try to read the elements:

Qt Code:
    1. QFile testxml("./test.xml");
    2. if(testxml.open(QIODevice::ReadOnly)) {
    3. QXmlStreamReader XMLData(&testxml);
    4. while(!XMLData.atEnd() && !XMLData.hasError()) {
    5. XMLData.readNext();
    6. qDebug() << XMLData.readElementText();
    7. if(XMLData.isStartElement()) {
    8. qDebug() << XMLData.name();
    9. qDebug() << XMLData.readElementText();
    10. }
    11. }
    12. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

But I only get two empty strings.

I have tried reading another Xml file which looks very similar and which is also everything in one line and I can successfully parse the elements. With this file it is somehow not working.

Does anyone have any idea what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Problem with QXmlStreamReader

QXmlStreamReader::readElementText() defaults to QXmlStreamReader::ErrorOnUnexpectedElement. Raise an UnexpectedElementError and return what was read so far when a child element is encountered. At line 6 this occurs and prints an empty string. I think this leaves the current element pointing at the end element marker, so the condition at line 7 is not met. The next iteration moves to EOF and line 6 prints another empty string before the while loop condition fails. Single step to verify.

3. The following user says thank you to ChrisW67 for this useful post:

ognomir (19th October 2016)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Problem with QXmlStreamReader

Thanks, it worked! The problem was that all elements are child elements therefore nothing was read before the child elements.