Thread: A tutorial for GIT under QTCreator ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default A tutorial for GIT under QTCreator ?

I found an identical post dated 8/15/2011, unfortunately it does not provide any answers for tutorial on how to work with Git in Qt Creator.
    There is an excellent series of youtube videos done by the user "voidrealms", but it is not a tutorial from the start. (Project already exists in git)

Perhaps there is QtCreator/Git tutorial that shows how to set up Git in Qt Creator, create a project, commit it to Git repository etc?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: A tutorial for GIT under QTCreator ?

Just select "git" as the version control system when you create a new project.

git is really easy to set up in general, just use "git init" in the directory that should be version controlled by git, e.g. an already existing project.

Cheers,
    _

3. The following user says thank you to anda_skoa for this useful post:

TorAn (18th November 2016)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

That is exactly why I asked my question. I know git basics, it is not the issue. The issue is to learn what Qt Creator architects or Qt Creator advanced users are considering "best practice" in working with Git and Qt Creator. For example, I am starting a new project from scratch. Should I go to git/bitbucket etc and create a repository there first or "best practice" is to create the project first and do all git-related stuff from Creator interface? Or, if the project already exists, like in the excellent youtube video courtesy of "voidrealms" (can't thank him enough for his work promoting Qt development. Why Digia will not issue him a Qt Ambassador award is a mystery to me. And, actually, for people like you,"vysota" and some other members of this forum that often provide answers and comments to other people's questions. But I digress...), what is the best practice in this case. What if git is not installed at all and only installed after Qt installation? What if git is installed but the authentication is not set up yet?

Apparently there is no tutorial like this. I am going to ask "voidrealms" to do an extension of his Git-Creator tutorial. Who knows, may be he will donate for 160th or so time (that's how many videos he created - a true labour of love)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

git doesn't really require a remote repository, so if you start a new project and just let QtCreator initialize git you should be fine.

If you work on an existing project from a remote repository then the initial clone will setup everything and you just work with that from QtCreator.

However, I am not the best person to ask as I am doing all my git stuff in a terminal, not relying on any integration other than maybe automatically adding newly created files from the "new class/file" wizard.

Cheers,
    _