Thread: dockWidget not undocking in centralWidget

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default dockWidget not undocking in centralWidget

Hey guys!

I would like to have a dockWidget positioned in the middle of my MainWindow. So what I did was:

QVboxLayout *grid = new QVBoxLayout(centralWidget());
    grid->addWidget(ui->initial_dockWidget);

This achivied what i need because it did open the dock maximized in centralWidget as i want.

However, I can't undock the dock my dragging it. I can undock only by doubleclick or by pressing float button. Does anybody knows how to fix it?

Thanks

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: dockWidget not undocking in centralWidget

No wonder. You are misusing dock widgets. They are not added to the central widget, they are added to the QMainWindow itself using QMainWindow::addDockWidget(). QMainWindow has an entire protocol in its internal implementation for handling dock widgets, docking, undocking, tabbed / non-tabbed, etc.. You can't just plop a dock widget down anywhere in your widget hierarchy and expect it to work the same way.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I know that, but I need to have a centralDock. Using the centralWidget works fine with docks for me if I don't use the layout. Without the layout the dragging-undock works fine, but not with the Layout. I use the layout because the dock has a picture inside and it should open maximized to show the whole picture, and this only works if I use the layout.

Capture.jpg

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I know that, but I need to have a centralDock.
    No, you don't. You need a central widget to satisfy the requirements for using QMainWindow. You need to design a custom QWidget that has the layout and behavior you want and use that as the central widget. Just because a QDockWidget -looks- like something you could use, and just because you -can- add a layout directly to QMainWindow doesn't mean it is going to behave as you wish (but seem unwilling to accept).
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I got it. I thought that this 'hack' would be efficient, but as you're saying, the QDockWidget will not work as a expect. Would you know how I could implement the dragging movement from scratch then?