Thread: Question for you all..

Default Question for you all..

How do you present yourself as a successful individual? Merging into the business world I often find myself asking this question. Is it how I dress, act, speak, etc.? Does it depend on the situation or who you are with - or is it the same for every situation youre in? Just curious as I know I'll be meeting with "important" people soon and want to be successful in those interactions. THNX

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Question for you all..

I don't think this kind of question has a universal answer.
    Its very subjective and each person will answer it differently.
    If I were to be asked that question I answer with a question:
    What do you define as successful?
    Then depending on the answer I'd know what to answer my self.

By the way, it sound like you are concerned with being able to give the "correct" answer for this.
    The correct answer is an honest one.
    If they don't like what they hear, then you don't want to work there, since you will never be a successful person in that organisation if what they count as successful and what you are seeing as successful is not compatible.
    If you tell them what they want to hear, but its not what you really think, this will show up later during work, and you will be miserable for not being able to be what they expect.
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

THNX for your reply. I definitely agree that. It is based on unique situation. Specifically speaking business: I believe that it takes a lot of CONFIDENCE. I believe that's a huge step toward success. Funny, I had this conversation with my hubby yesterday and he thinks the same thing. We actually went the next day to http://www.josbank.com/bigntall to get him a brand new suit for a meeting LOL. Now I'm not saying material items are what makes someone successful - confidence does. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by high_flyer View Post
    I don't think this kind of question has a universal answer.
    Its very subjective and each person will answer it differently.
    If I were to be asked that question I answer with a question:
    What do you define as successful?
    Then depending on the answer I'd know what to answer my self.

By the way, it sound like you are concerned with being able to give the "correct" answer for this.
    If they don't like what they hear, then you don't want to work there, since you will never be a successful person in that organisation if what they count as successful and what you are seeing as successful is not compatible.
    If you tell them what they want to hear, but its not what you really think, this will show up later during work, and you will be miserable for not being able to be what they expect.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Good luck! :-)
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

If I were interviewing you, that's what I would want to hear. I would be more interested to know if you are an independent thinker who is not afraid to try to solve problems you have never seen before. I'm not going to give you a C++ test and grade you on the result. Someone who starts a "What's for dinner?" thread on a programming forum is the kind of candidate I'd like to see. Not afraid to do something unusual.

Unfortunately, if you are trying to get a job with one of the top-tier companies like Google, Facebook, Apple, or Microsoft, honesty probably won't even get you past the resume-screening phase. If your resume doesn't have all the right keywords that the computer can use to decide if you have the experience needed, out you go into the reject pile. And headhunters will put you in any job, whether you are qualified or not, just so they can get their bonus.

And yes, good luck!
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.