Thread: What are the release plans: Qwt (6.3), Qwt-multiaxes (6.4)

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default What are the release plans: Qwt (6.3), Qwt-multiaxes (6.4)

Hi Uwe,

Out if curiosity, what are your plans regarding new releases of Qwt?

I see Qwt 6.1.3 was released in 2016/06
    Trunk is currently marked as 6.3.0
    Qwt-multiaxes is marked as 6.4.0

Are you planning to create a 6.3 release any time soon?
    Are you planning to merge the multiaxes into trunk for the next release (after 6.3) or are you planning to keep the multiaxis as a separate branch for the foreseeable future?
    Do you perhaps considering creating a release for the multiaxis branch?

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: What are the release plans: Qwt (6.3), Qwt-multiaxes (6.4)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBadger View Post
    Out if curiosity, what are your plans regarding new releases of Qwt?
    At the moment most of my time for working on open source projects goes to the QSkinny project.

IMO its heaviness makes the Quick/QML technology inappropriate for any sort of complex user interface - especially on less powerful embedded devices. QSkinny already eliminates the bad startup performance and memory problems of QML/Quick for of a family of pretty big user interfaces ( unfortunately closed source ) I'm working on in my professional life. But the part I'm able to release as open source project is not yet in a state, where it is very useful for others.

So for the next months Qwt will be in maintenance mode ( = fixing all sort of bugs ), but I will definitely continue with more active development once I got an initial version of QSkinny flying.

Are you planning to create a 6.3 release any time soon?
    In general trunk ( = 6.3.0 ) is in a good state, beside of the opengl canvases, that are much better than the one of 6.1, but still need more time. In the end this is the only issue that prevents me from releasing.
    Maybe the most interesting new feature is QwtPlotCurve::FilterPointsAggressive. Also a lot of work went into set of new classes around spline interpolation, something I was interested myself.

Are you planning to merge the multiaxes into trunk for the next release (after 6.3) or are you planning to keep the multiaxis as a separate branch for the foreseeable future?
    It might be 6.4, but I'm not 100% decided. The API changes are made in a way, that a migration should be painless, but considering, that Qwt is available since almost 20 years, there are a lot of useful applications around, where no active maintainers are available to do the migration.

Uwe