Thread: Writing to a file from within a QThread is causing the app to deplete system memory

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Writing to a file from within a QThread is causing the app to deplete system memory

I have a threaded application that reads data from a UDP socket in one thread, and then passes that data to two other threads: one for processing one for writing out to a file. (Note: The processing thread does nothing at the moment). All the writing thread does is write the data out to an open file.

When I run the app, it constantly consumes memory and then swap space, until there is none left. The OS then terminates the application.

I don't understand this behavior, can anyone shed any light on this? I've attached the entire source code in a tar file.

PS: I also welcome any comment/critique on my use of QThreads.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Writing to a file from within a QThread is causing the app to deplete system memo

It does not do that in my environment (Linux 64-bit, GCC 6, Qt 5.7.1). Built code as supplied. Does nothing other than create empty file until a UDP datagram is received. Using netcat sent the 519-byte PRO file as a datagram: 4000 bytes written to file. Repeated: 8000 bytes in file etc.

Are you certain this program is the problem? Is the sender you are testing with also on this machine?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Writing to a file from within a QThread is causing the app to deplete system memo

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW67 View Post
    It does not do that in my environment (Linux 64-bit, GCC 6, Qt 5.7.1). Built code as supplied. Does nothing other than create empty file until a UDP datagram is received. Using netcat sent the 519-byte PRO file as a datagram: 4000 bytes written to file. Repeated: 8000 bytes in file etc.

Are you certain this program is the problem? Is the sender you are testing with also on this machine?
    Sorry, I should have provided more detail...

Yes, the sender I am testing with is also running on the same machine. I've attached the code for the sender I use. It's a small C application that generates UDP datagrams in a tight while loop. Note: This sender app is just for testing; in deployment of the main application, the data that it receives is generated on another machine and sent over UDP.

I am running this on a RHEL7 laptop with:
    gcc version 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-16) (GCC)
    QMake version 3.0
    Using Qt version 5.5.1 in /opt/Qt5.5.1/5.5/gcc_64/lib

I realize that writing out that much data could be problematic -- but I didn't expect it to cause the system to consume memory they way it does.
    Attached Files Attached Files