Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Exclamation Error compiling psql plugin

System: debian etch.
    PostgreSQL client installed is 8.1.9 from synaptic

I downloaded the PostgreSQL 8.2.5 source and tried to compile the plugin but it won't compile.
    Is it because the versions are different ?

g++ -c -pipe -g -O2 -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -D_REENTRANT -Wall -W -fPIC -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII -DQT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_PLUGIN -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -DQT_SHARED -I../../../../mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I../../../../include/QtCore -I../../../../include/QtCore -I../../../../include/QtSql -I../../../../include/QtSql -I../../../../include -I/usr/include/pgsql -I.moc/release-shared -I.uic/release-shared -o .obj/release-shared/qsql_psql.o ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:37:22: error: libpq-fe.h: No such file or directory
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In function ‘QSqlError qMakeError(const QString&, QSqlError::ErrorType, const QPSQLDriverPrivate*)’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:127: error: ‘PQerrorMessage’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘bool QPSQLResultPrivate:rocessResults()’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:137: error: ‘PQresultStatus’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:138: error: ‘PGRES_TUPLES_OK’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:141: error: ‘PQntuples’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:143: error: ‘PGRES_COMMAND_OK’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘void QPSQLResult::cleanup()’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:221: error: ‘PQclear’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool QPSQLResult::fetchLast()’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:249: error: ‘PQntuples’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual QVariant QPSQLResult::data(int)’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:254: error: ‘PQnfields’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:258: error: ‘PQftype’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:260: error: ‘PQgetvalue’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:261: error: ‘PQgetisnull’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:323: error: ‘PQunescapeBytea’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool QPSQLResult::isNull(int)’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:337: error: ‘PQgetvalue’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:338: error: ‘PQgetisnull’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool QPSQLResult::reset(const QString&)’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:350: error: ‘PQexec’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual int QPSQLResult::numRowsAffected()’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:361: error: ‘PQcmdTuples’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual QVariant QPSQLResult::lastInsertId() const’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:367: error: ‘Oid’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:367: error: expected `;' before ‘id’
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:368: error: ‘id’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:368: error: ‘InvalidOid’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual QSqlRecord QPSQLResult::record() const’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:380: error: ‘PQnfields’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:384: error: ‘PQfname’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:386: error: ‘PQfname’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:387: error: ‘PQftype’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:388: error: ‘PQfsize’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:389: error: ‘PQfmod’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In function ‘bool setEncodingUtf8(PGconn*)’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:407: error: ‘PQexec’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:408: error: ‘PQresultStatus’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:409: error: ‘PQclear’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:410: error: ‘PGRES_COMMAND_OK’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In function ‘void setDatestyle(PGconn*)’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:415: error: ‘PQexec’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:416: error: ‘PQresultStatus’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:417: error: ‘PGRES_COMMAND_OK’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:418: error: ‘PQerrorMessage’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:419: error: ‘PQclear’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In function ‘QPSQLDriver::Protocol getPSQLVersion(PGconn*)’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:424: error: ‘PQexec’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:425: error: ‘PQresultStatus’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:426: error: ‘PGRES_COMMAND_OK’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:426: error: ‘PGRES_TUPLES_OK’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:427: error: ‘PQgetvalue’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:428: error: ‘PQclear’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In destructor ‘virtual QPSQLDriver::~QPSQLDriver()’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:481: error: ‘PQfinish’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool QPSQLDriver:pen(const QString&, const QString&, const QString&, const QString&, int, const QString&)’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:554: error: ‘PQconnectdb’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:555: error: ‘PQstatus’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:555: error: ‘CONNECTION_BAD’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:556: error: ‘PQfinish’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void QPSQLDriver::close()’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:576: error: ‘PQfinish’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool QPSQLDriver::beginTransaction()’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:594: error: ‘PQexec’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:595: error: ‘PQresultStatus’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:595: error: ‘PGRES_COMMAND_OK’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:596: error: ‘PQclear’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:601: error: ‘PQclear’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool QPSQLDriver::commitTransaction()’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:611: error: ‘PQexec’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:612: error: ‘PQresultStatus’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:612: error: ‘PGRES_COMMAND_OK’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:613: error: ‘PQclear’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:618: error: ‘PQclear’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool QPSQLDriver::rollbackTransaction()’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:628: error: ‘PQexec’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:629: error: ‘PQresultStatus’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:629: error: ‘PGRES_COMMAND_OK’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:632: error: ‘PQclear’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:635: error: ‘PQclear’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual QString QPSQLDriver::formatValue(const QSqlField&, bool) const’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:900: error: ‘PQescapeBytea’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool QPSQLDriver::isOpen() const’:
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:926: error: ‘PQstatus’ was not declared in this scope
    ../../../sql/drivers/psql/qsql_psql.cpp:926: error: ‘CONNECTION_OK’ was not declared in this scope
    make: *** [.obj/release-shared/qsql_psql.o] Error 1

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Error compiling psql plugin

Do you have libpq-fe.h header somewhere on your system? Maybe you have to install some additional package like postgresql-devel?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

yes: /usr/include/postgresql/libpq-fe.h
    libpq-dev is installed, I also tried to compile with
    make -I /usr/include/postgresql/
    Last edited by vieraci; 6th October 2007 at 02:58.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

You have to pass the include path to qmake already. Can you show us the qmake line you tried using to compile the postgres plugin?
    "If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge." - Henry Spencer

5. The following user says thank you to Methedrine for this useful post:

vieraci (7th October 2007)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

OK, I see where I went wrong,
    qmake -o Makefile "INCLUDEPATH+=/usr/include/pgsql" "LIBS+=-L/usr/lib -lpq" psql.pro
    My INCLUDEPATH was invalid.
    Thanks,