Thread: Static linking with Commercial trial 4.3.2 for VC7.1 ?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Static linking with Commercial trial 4.3.2 for VC7.1 ?

<alert comment="Qt newbie">

I've developed a freeware app with MFC for Windows, and want to convert it to use Qt4. Eventually, I want to port to Linux, Pocket-PC, and possibly for Mac.

I've never used MinGW, so my impression is that the easiest way for me to get "up to speed" with Qt4 is to install the 30 day commercial 4.3.2 trial for Visual C++ 7.1 (Visual Studio 2003). I've built several of the tutorial examples and been able to step around with the VC7.1 ide debugger, so the installation seems ok.

The app is fairly simple ... it uses a tree-widget, check-box-widgets, drop-down-combobox-widget, list-widget, basic menu, and rich-text-widget,

When I get to the point of releasing the app, I don't want to ship the large QtCore4.dll (1.5mb) and QtGui4.dll (6.2mb) with the application. My understanding is that I will want to statically link the application. I'm trying to get some ball-park idea of how large the resulting executable will be.

> But with the trial it's not possible to recompile Qt for static linking
    I came across a thread with the above comment, so I wanted to check if there was a way to configure the 4.3.2 commercial trial to link statically.

</alert>

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Static linking with Commercial trial 4.3.2 for VC7.1 ?

I've developed a freeware app with MFC for Windows, and want to convert it to use Qt4. Eventually, I want to port to Linux, Pocket-PC, and possibly for Mac.

I've never used MinGW, so my impression is that the easiest way for me to get "up to speed" with Qt4 is to install the 30 day commercial 4.3.2 trial for Visual C++ 7.1 (Visual Studio 2003). I've built several of the tutorial examples and been able to step around with the VC7.1 ide debugger, so the installation seems ok.
    You can use Qt 4.3.2 Open Source Edition with VC++ 2005 Express, so there's no need to use the trial version.

When I get to the point of releasing the app, I don't want to ship the large QtCore4.dll (1.5mb) and QtGui4.dll (6.2mb) with the application. My understanding is that I will want to statically link the application. I'm trying to get some ball-park idea of how large the resulting executable will be.
    I think it will be bigger, with static linking. Therefore will eat more system resources.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Static linking with Commercial trial 4.3.2 for VC7.1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    I think it will be bigger, with static linking. Therefore will eat more system resources.
    I'm sure the MyApp.exe will be much larger with static linking (compared to dynamic linking), but the overall size of the MyAppSetup.exe will be much smaller because I won't have to include QtCOre4.dll and QtGui4.dll

Thanks for the info about Express 2005.