Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default 2 Quick Questions

Hi,

Okay, first question:

When reading from a text file, is it possible to specifiy certain values that I want to be read without having to read all of the other values in front of it? For example, I have a text file whose values are arranged like a table (ie the first line displays column headers, the next lines contain data listed under their respictive column headers), and I only want to read a few scattered values from this table, NOT all of them. How can I do this?

Next question:

I've downloaded the 'QProperty Browser Framework' from Qt solutions, and I'm trying to create a property browser in a QDockWidget, but I can't seem to get it to fit properly inside of the dock widget. When I use the QDockWidget::setWidget() function on other widgets, the child widgets are resized accordingly,but it's not working with the property broswer. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Symbian S60

Default Re: 2 Quick Questions

About the first question I don't think so. If it's a XML file you can use QDomDocument, but if you need to read from a text document you have to load it all.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt Jambi
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: 2 Quick Questions

I think as long as the file is a plain text file and you open and read it with any standard I/O (especially buffered), you're going to wind up reading the whole table into the disk anyway, at least to the last value you're trying to retrieve. Perhaps converting it to a different format might make accessing specific values easier.