Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Handcoder's IDE for Qt

Handcoder's IDE for Qt (HiQt)

Are you like me in that you like to manage all the files in your project, but want the conveniences of an IDE? If so, please read on...
    Inspired by QDevelop and Visual Studio, and motivated by the need to create a stable Qt IDE for Windows, HiQt is already a fully functional development environment. It features:

* Class and file browser with perfect project file parsing, because it actually uses qmake to extract the project data - open source is beautiful!
    * Code completion - fast, robust, and quite pleasant - completes local project code as well as Qt keywords (Qt source is efficiently parsed as needed), and can handle concatenations such as "QString::number(123).length()".
    * Interface to designer - preview your forms, or edit them in designer with just a single click of a button. HiQt will automatically detect changes to forms (or any project files) made outside of the IDE.
    * Syntax highlighting - very nice, with some extra very useful tag highlighting that you'll come to depend on
    * Navigation - (1) Easy switch between header/source files... (2) double click any word to get a list of where that function or type was defined/implemented... (3) navigation window listing all the tags in the current file or current class - double click tags for easy navigation
    * Help - launch assistant or use the online documentation browser - press F1 on a keyword to get help
    * Stable - Designed with avoiding crashes in mind. It's very stable on my machine, I'm eager to get feedback
    * Others - other nice friendly (non-intrusive) features that you will discover

(there is no debugger at this point -- that's where I'll need help because I never use gdb.)
    (also the class browser does not yet distinguish between private/protected/public methods)

The most important aspect of HiQt is that it DOES NOT MANAGE YOUR PROJECT -- it just shows you your project, and helps you in every non-intrusive way that it can. For example, if you want to add a file to your project, HiQt will absolutely not do it for you. But it's very easy (if you know what you are doing). Just (a) double click the project from the project manager (that will bring up the .pro text file) (b) manually add your file to the HEADERS, SOURCES, or whatever (c) upon saving the text file, HiQt will automatically detect the change, and update the file/class browsers accordingly. Now was that so hard?... a small inconvenience to pay for complete control over your project!

HiQt also stands for Harmless IDE for Qt, because it will never write anything to your files. In fact, it won't even write any additional files to your project directory. Open your projects without fear!

Well you get the idea. Attached is the source as well as Windows binary. Enjoy, and please send your feedback....

For windows binary, run bin\HiQt.exe -- it was compiled using MinGW and Qt 4.3.0
    I think it works on Linux, but only tested a couple times.

HiQt-source.zip
    HiQt-win-binary.zip
    Attached Images Attached Images