Thread: QtConcurrent::run Help(SOLVED)

Default QtConcurrent::run Help(SOLVED)

This is probaly more of a C++ question than a Qt question. But nevertheless it involves the QtConcurrent::run function.

My question is, what is the proper way to pass a function into QtConcurrent::run? I want to pass a member function that is inherited specifically, but no matter what I do it throws a long list of errors saying im not using the function correctly. Also the function has parameter, one of which is a pointer, is this okay?

I've read the documentation and maybe I've missed something. But it doesn't seem to be very detailed on what is allowed and not and maybe I should just know.
    If anyone can give me any insight thanks.
    Last edited by AwDogsgo2Heaven; 9th July 2009 at 03:26. Reason: question was answered

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: QtConcurrent::run Help

can you show the code? may be its the case of missing & or class qualifier

I dont have the code on me. But here is a pretty much same example:

I tried doing this -

QFuture<void> future = QtConcurrent::run(&Scope::function, parameter);

The scope was of the inherited class and the parameter was a pointer to an object.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

i think the docs read that you have to pass an object or the pointer to call a member function...

Additional API Features
    Using Member Functions
    QtConcurrent::run() also accepts pointers to member functions. The first argument must be either a const reference or a pointer to an instance of the class. Passing by const reference is useful when calling const member functions; passing by pointer is useful for calling non-const member functions that modify the instance.
    For example, calling QString::split() (a const member function) in a separate thread is done like this:
    // call 'QStringList QString::split(const QString &sep, SplitBehavior behavior, Qt::CaseSensitivity cs) const' in a separate thread
    QString string = ...;
    QFuture<QStringList> future = QtConcurrent::run(string, &QString::split, QString(", "), QString::KeepEmptyParts, Qt::CaseSensitive);
    QStringList result = future.result();
    Calling a non-const member function is done like this:
    // call 'void QImage::invertPixels(InvertMode mode)' in a separate thread
    QImage image = ...;
    QFuture<void> future = QtConcurrent::run(image, &QImage::invertPixels, QImage::InvertRgba);
    future.waitForFinished();
    // At this point, the pixels in 'image' have been inverted