Thread: field() method of QWizard returning currentIndex of combo-boxes, not values. Help

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Unhappy field() method of QWizard returning currentIndex of combo-boxes, not values. Help

Hi!

As the title suggests, I'm attempting to get the selected value from a QComboBox on a wizard page. I have a bunch of combo-boxes which are populated with data from a relational model's relations. I was struggling trying to insert a record into the database with the selected values and have discovered that calling value() is returning the currentIndex of the combo-boxes, rather than the selected value.

I should point out here that I'm both very new to Qt and C++, so go easy on me.

My code thus far:

The Patient object is derived from QSqlRelationalTableModel. I have a bunch of methods in that class to return the relations of the model, hence the "patient->gender()" type calls. They return a object of type QSqlRelation.

Qt Code:
    1. /***
    2.  * Register all of the necessary fields with this
    3.  * wizard form page.
    4.  */
    5. void NewPatientPageTwo::registerFields()
    6. {
    7. registerField("doctor", ui->doctor);
    8. registerField("gender", ui->gender);
    9. registerField("sexual_orientation", ui->sexual_orientation);
    10. registerField("marital_status", ui->marital_status);
    11. registerField("employment_status", ui->employment_status);
    12. registerField("performance_status", ui->performance_status);
    13. registerField("alcohol_consumption", ui->alcohol_consumption);
    14. registerField("clinical_group", ui->clinical_group);
    15. registerField("ethnic_category", ui->ethnic_category);
    16. }
    18. /***
    19.  * Each of the fields on this wizard page are
    20.  * combo-boxes that need to be populated with
    21.  * information held in the database.
    22.  */
    23. void NewPatientPageTwo::populateFields()
    24. {
    25. Patient *patientModel = new Patient(this);
    27. // doctor
    28. ui->doctor->setModel(patientModel->doctor());
    29. ui->doctor->setModelColumn(patientModel->doctor()->fieldIndex("lastname"));
    31. // gender
    32. ui->gender->setModel(patientModel->gender());
    33. ui->gender->setModelColumn(patientModel->gender()->fieldIndex("description"));
    35. // sexual orientation
    36. ui->sexual_orientation->setModel(patientModel->sexualOrientation());
    37. ui->sexual_orientation->setModelColumn(patientModel->sexualOrientation()->fieldIndex("description"));
    39. // marital status
    40. ui->marital_status->setModel(patientModel->maritalStatus());
    41. ui->marital_status->setModelColumn(patientModel->maritalStatus()->fieldIndex("description"));
    43. // employment status
    44. ui->employment_status->setModel(patientModel->employmentStatus());
    45. ui->employment_status->setModelColumn(patientModel->employmentStatus()->fieldIndex("description"));
    47. // performance status
    48. ui->performance_status->setModel(patientModel->performanceStatus());
    49. ui->performance_status->setModelColumn(patientModel->performanceStatus()->fieldIndex("description"));
    51. // alcohol consumption
    52. ui->alcohol_consumption->setModel(patientModel->alcoholStatus());
    53. ui->alcohol_consumption->setModelColumn(patientModel->alcoholStatus()->fieldIndex("description"));
    55. // clinical group
    56. ui->clinical_group->setModel(patientModel->clinicalGroup());
    57. ui->clinical_group->setModelColumn(patientModel->clinicalGroup()->fieldIndex("description"));
    59. // ethnic category
    60. ui->ethnic_category->setModel(patientModel->ethnicCategory());
    61. ui->ethnic_category->setModelColumn(patientModel->ethnicCategory()->fieldIndex("description"));
    62. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

This is the imlpementation of the accept method in the wizard class. It's called when I hit the finish button.
    Qt Code:
    1. void NewPatient::accept()
    2. {
    3. Patient *model = new Patient(this);
    4. unsigned int row = model->rowCount();
    6. if (model->insertRow(row)) {
    7. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::NHSNumber), field("nhsnumber"));
    8. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::EmploymentStatus), field("employment_status"));
    9. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::Gender), field("gender"));
    10. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::MaritalStatus), field("marital_status"));
    11. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::PerformanceStatus), field("performance_status"));
    12. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::SexualOrientation), field("sexual_orientation"));
    13. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::ClinicalGroup), field("clinical_group"));
    14. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::EthnicCategory), field("ethnic_category"));
    15. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::AlcoholStatus), field("alcohol_consumption"));
    16. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::Doctor), field("doctor"));
    17. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::Salutation), field("title"));
    18. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::BirthDate), field("dob").toDate().toString(Qt::ISODate));
    19. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::FirstName), field("firstname"));
    20. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::LastName), field("lastname"));
    21. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::RegisteredDate), QDate::currentDate().toString(Qt::ISODate));
    23. model->database().transaction();
    25. if (model->submitAll()) {
    26. model->database().commit();
    27. } else {
    28. model->database().rollback();
    29. }
    30. }
    32. close();
    33. }

The insert is failing because the calls to field("inputname") aren't returning the value, as expected. They're returning the currentIndex. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: field() method of QWizard returning currentIndex of combo-boxes, not values. Help

Disclaimer: I have never used the QWizard or the QWizardPage classes but your post piqued my curiosity. So I took a look at the docs. Check this out: setDefaultProperty.

QComboBox:getText() might work too:
    Qt Code:
    1. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::MaritalStatus), ui->marital_status->getText());

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 913 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60
    Wiki edits

Default Re: field() method of QWizard returning currentIndex of combo-boxes, not values. Help

Damn, what a database is that: sexual orientation, alcohol consumption, ethnic category! I hope I don't get an ethical dilemma if I help you

Have a look at QWizard::setDefaultProperty(). There you can change to return type to currentText.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Thank you both for your responses!

As it happens, the setDefaultProperty isn't useful to me in this instance. I was assuming that the combo-box would be similar to a HTML select-box. I'm very new to desktop application development. I figured that each selectable item could have a value assigned to it but a different text label. In this case, the QComboBoxes were being populated by QSqlTableModel objects, so I was hoping that I could display one table column as the text and have the primary key 'id' column, for example, as the "value" of the item. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case.

norobro, your answer is the similar to the solution I found! I ended up having to pull the data back from the table model, based on the currentIndex of the QComboBox and the column I wanted to access, using a QModelIndex. Essentially, I'm doing the following:

Qt Code:
    1. model->setData(model->index(row, Patient::EmploymentStatus),
    2. model->employmentStatus()->index(field("employment_status").toInt(), model->employmentStatus()->fieldIndex("code")).data());

I don't have direct access to the QComboBox object at the stage I'm trying to access the values, which is why I couldn't do ui->comboBox->blahblah and instead had to pull from the model again.

I'm pretty sure that what I'm doing is fairly inefficient, so if there's a better way of doing this, I'd love to know. In general, if there are any in-depth examples of working with QSql*Models then I'd love to know about them.

By the way, Lykurg, the database makes up part of a patient management system for general practice clinics (built for my university project) and those attributes are a small sample of the details that the NHS stores.

Thanks again, guys.