Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Unhappy qt network performance

hi to all,

i'm using qt 4.1.x with vs7.1 (2003 version) on winxp.

i've coded the following: a (qtcp)server and clients over qtcpsocket. both are gui applications (because of easier displaying any data . the server "accepts" clients, holts on-/offline status of all clients (ok, at the moment just 2), sends data from one client (lets say generator-client) to the other client (consumer-client). for each client/server connection i'm opening only one qtcpsocket with readwrite access. using a start-command the generator-client produces some double values, until the server send a stop-command. for sending/receiving data to/from a socket, i'm using a qdatastream. all send operations are finished with a flush().

now, the generator is sending every 5ms 3 double values to the server and the server forwards it to the consumer. when i run everything on one pc, everything works fine. all data are fast received.

but if i'm using for example 2 pc's (connected over a 100mbit hub/switch, nothing else), whereas the server/clients are started in different combinations on the pc's, then only 5-7 (approx all 20ms) messages are received form the server. the rest is getting lost.

what i'm or qt (also read posts about qt's performance problems) or windows is making wrong? i need all information, that is produced through my generator-client. will be the transfer using udp packages faster? should i use fewer socket-connections (one for read only, one for write only)? should i use another network package (winsock, raknet, ...) than qnetwork?

any hint would be appreciated?

regards

criss
    Last edited by criss; 18th July 2006 at 12:48. Reason: bug fix :)