PDA

View Full Version : Mandriva Linux question

Salazaar
15th November 2007, 21:18
Hi. When I tried to run Mandriva 2008 form live-cd, I've 'met' a bug. It's description and solution is described in it's errata:

Few users told us about black screen appearance while loading desktop using ATI Radeon.Solution: Erase following lines from /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

And the question is, how to do it? I mean, how to find this file. It couldn't be done by exploring cd from windows.
Regards

marcel
15th November 2007, 21:40
You have to boot in runlevel 3 or 1 (refer to your bootloader's manual on what options you have to pass to it), and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. After that either reboot or run startx.

EDIT: or try switching to a terminal after the screen goes blank (ctrl + alt + f2, for example), or even try pressing ctrl-alt-backspace, maybe X will terminate and return you to a terminal.

Salazaar
16th November 2007, 17:08
You have to boot in runlevel 3 or 1 (refer to your bootloader's manual on what options you have to pass to it), and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. After that either reboot or run startx.
Sorry, but I don't understand a word of it ;)

EDIT: or try switching to a terminal after the screen goes blank (ctrl + alt + f2, for example), or even try pressing ctrl-alt-backspace, maybe X will terminate and return you to a terminal.
I tried, no result
Regards

wysota
16th November 2007, 17:14
It might not be possible to alter the file when running from live cd. You might try overriding the ati driver with the vesa driver by passing some option to the boot sequence. When you boot the cd, it probably contains some info how to access help which should contain the list of switches you may pass (F1, F2 or F3 are likely candidates for accessing the help).

Salazaar
16th November 2007, 23:10
Yes, it contains some help and boot settings, but they're kind of magic for me.;)
Regards
P.S - When they write in errata to change this file, it is possible to do it, I think;)
P.P.S
Here's what I found somewhere:

You can alter your .conf file by typing "su (root password)press enter then type:
"vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf" (vi is a text editor)

wysota
17th November 2007, 00:20
P.S - When they write in errata to change this file, it is possible to do it, I think;)
Yes, you can always change the file and rebuild the live cd ;)

Here's what I found somewhere:
Unfortunately you must be already booted to do that. You need to boot into runlevel 3 (one of the boot options certainly does that) and then change the file and start X.

marcel
17th November 2007, 06:22
When running a live cd, doesn't it create a RAM disk containing at least the main config files, which is not read only? As far as I know it will contain at least /etc, /dev, /usr.

wysota
17th November 2007, 13:43
But you have to boot the system for the disk to be created. And if it boots into X, the driver will lock it, preventing access to the console. Thus the system needs to be booted into runlevel 3.

Salazaar
17th November 2007, 21:09
Ok, guys, the theory;) But what about the practice? What are the steps that I need to do?;) I mean, how to edit this file? Is it able to edit it from Windows/Ubuntu (which I have installed)? How? I'd be thankful;)
Regards

wysota
17th November 2007, 22:56
Boot into runlevel 3. I'm sure the CD supports it.

Salazaar
17th November 2007, 23:11
But how? When I run live-cd, it's 'welcome screen' and it starts booting

wysota
18th November 2007, 11:54
Use F1 or F3 as earlier advised. The live cd should first let you choose some things before booting the system. Even the install disk does that, so I'm sure live cd has such capabilities as well.

Salazaar
18th November 2007, 18:01
Ok, I've solved the problem in other way.;)

Salazaar
18th November 2007, 20:58
But I've got another question. When I try to compile program with make (install) i get that there's no such command. When I launch add/remove programs I've got gcc preprocesor and library selected. What's up??? Why I can compile?
Regards

wysota
18th November 2007, 21:18
Preprocessor is not a compiler. You need to have other packages installed as well. Like gcc-g++, make, binutils, libstdc++-devel, glibc-devel and probably others as well.

Salazaar
19th November 2007, 15:30
And I've got gcc gnu libs installed either. And does somebody know is there simplier way to install gcc on Mandriva 2008 than this
http://www-users.mat.uni.torun.pl/~jb/zajecia2004/pk/gcc-comp.html
Regards

jacek
19th November 2007, 15:47
What happens when you try to run g++? Do you have make installed?

Salazaar
19th November 2007, 16:41
Run? What do you mean? I don't know, I've got (or not) gcc tgat was basically installed with Mandriva. I don't know whether I've got it or no, if not it means that it is not installed

wysota
19th November 2007, 19:02
Mandriva live-cd was not meant for development. Either install it on your disk and use rpmdrake to install the remaining required software or use a live-cd meant for development - it will have the tools already installed.

As for gcc C++ development, you need at least those packages installed (and of course their dependencies):

libgcc1
gcc
gcc-cpp
gcc-c++

Running "urpmi gcc-c++ glibc-devel libstdc++-devel" should install all the required software, provided that urpmi is configured properly.

jacek
19th November 2007, 19:18
And don't forget about installing make.

Salazaar
19th November 2007, 19:23
Mandriva live-cd was not meant for development.
What's the name of this?

wysota
19th November 2007, 19:27
The name of what?

Salazaar
19th November 2007, 20:50
Of this Madnriva sub-distribution you've mentioned to use otherwise.;) I've got another problem. I've moved some files (.tar.bz2) to a directory. I've extracted one, ok. I'm extracting secon, but it tells me that I don't have the permission to write it. But previous file I've unpacked with no problem! These two files have the same permissions. Regards

wysota
19th November 2007, 21:02
I didn't say to use mandriva. Mandriva doesn't have a live-cd dedicated for development. Either install mandriva on a hard disk as a regular system or find a different live-cd, best if it was based on Debian.

Salazaar
20th November 2007, 13:47
So you suggest not to use mandriva to develop programs? I tried Kubuntu, but I had network problems. My network card was well recognised, but when I tried to connect to it, computer has been crashing every time...

wysota
20th November 2007, 14:34
So you suggest not to use mandriva to develop programs?
No :) I suggest not to use mandriva live-cd to develop programs. I use Mandriva myself and it works just fine. But I run it from my hard disk and not from a live cd.

Salazaar
20th November 2007, 17:34
No :) I suggest not to use mandriva live-cd to develop programs. I use Mandriva myself and it works just fine. But I run it from my hard disk and not from a live cd.
I don't understand. Running from hdd? Explain, please, what shell I do to have Mandriva 2008 with all developer-needed components.
Regards

wysota
20th November 2007, 20:55
Download and install a complete distro.

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

Salazaar
21st November 2007, 16:14
Download and install a complete distro.

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free
i don't understand. That's what I've done;). I've downloaded Mandriva One, burned it and installed, but I haven't got gcc and others.
Regards

DeepDiver
21st November 2007, 17:18
You need to install the packages you need.
There are many ways to install packages on linux.

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855

Salazaar
21st November 2007, 17:41
You need to install the packages you need.
There are many ways to install packages on linux.

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855
There is one way described there. This is not enough. I've also tried to install from mandriva live-cd, but there I've only got gcc preprocesor and lib

wysota
21st November 2007, 17:54
Mandriva One is the live cd. I'm talking about Mandriva 2008.0 that comes on a DVD.

DeepDiver
21st November 2007, 18:08
I'm running Debian and Kubuntu and I never downloaded the full dvd/cd-set.
Debian knows a netinstall cd with ~180 MB with the base system and the installer.
All packages are downloaded via http/ftp.

This must be possible with Mandriva as well.

Just my two cents

Salazaar
21st November 2007, 19:22
Mandriva One is the live cd. I'm talking about Mandriva 2008.0 that comes on a DVD.
Wysota, are you talking about this (http://www.idg.pl/ftp/linux_1831/Mandriva.Linux.DVD.2008.pl.html)?

wysota
21st November 2007, 19:49
This must be possible with Mandriva as well.

Yes, it is. But we're having a Linux newbie here. I wouldn't recommend a network install.

Wysota, are you talking about this (http://www.idg.pl/ftp/linux_1831/Mandriva.Linux.DVD.2008.pl.html)?

Yes, this is fine. This will probably be faster, though: ftp://ftp.tuniv.szczecin.pl/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/iso/2008.0/mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso
And md5sum for it: ftp://ftp.tuniv.szczecin.pl/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/iso/2008.0/mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso.md5

Salazaar
21st November 2007, 19:52
Thank's, I'll install DVD instead of live-cd;) And after this, I'll have gcc and all this stuff installed, right? Oh, and one more question, what's md5sum for?

wysota
21st November 2007, 19:58
And after this, I'll have gcc and all this stuff installed, right?
Depends what you choose during installation.

Oh, and one more question, what's md5sum for?
For checking if you downloaded the dvd correctly before burning it to the disc. Ask google for md5sum to learn more.

Salazaar
21st November 2007, 20:02
Oh, thanks. I think my problem is solved (surely until installing DVD;))

DeepDiver
22nd November 2007, 09:38
Yes, it is. But we're having a Linux newbie here. I wouldn't recommend a network install.

2 years ago I was a Linux newbie as well. I always did network installs. Never had any problems.
But if the dvd helps to get another Linux user - I have NO problem with that solution! :D

Maybe I'll help to recommend a good Linux book for beginners.
Actually I know only one (it's german): http://www.amazon.de/Linux-Fedora-Ubuntu-Feisty-DVD-ROMs/dp/3827324785/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195720555&sr=8-1

Have a nice day ....

Salazaar
25th November 2007, 17:29
Hi. I've installed Mandriva 2008 from DVD instead of live cd. After installation, I went to Install software and installed all gcc stuff (22 packages like binutils, libs etc). And when I type 'make' in console, I reach that there's no such command. What else do I need to do to make gcc work?
Regards

wysota
25th November 2007, 17:47
issue "urpmi make" command as root from the terminal or start rpmdrake and install make from there.

Gopala Krishna
25th November 2007, 17:55
Wow, this thread had some nice info on getting started with mandrivia.. :)
how about renaming the thread something related to mandrivia as some new comers might find this info useful ?

wysota
25th November 2007, 18:12
Good idea.

Salazaar
25th November 2007, 19:10
Ok, now there's no 'command not found' but there's different problem. When I try to compile something, I get:

Cannot find kernel version in /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv/build, is it configured?
How to solve this problem? Regards

wysota
25th November 2007, 19:20
What are you trying to do anyway?

Salazaar
25th November 2007, 19:32
I'm trying to compile a program. So, what's the error about?

marcel
25th November 2007, 19:46
what about gmake? do you have it? if so, just create a link to it in /usr/bin or whatever and name it make.

Salazaar
25th November 2007, 19:55
what about gmake? do you have it? if so, just create a link to it in /usr/bin or whatever and name it make.
There's no such thing in my repository (DVD). What's gmake, btw?

wysota
25th November 2007, 20:38
I'm trying to compile a program. So, what's the error about?

What program? Seems you are trying to compile something related to the kernel, because the procedure complains about missing the kernel sources.

what about gmake?

Mandriva's make is GNU Make (gmake), so no tricks are needed.

$ ls -l `which gmake`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2007-10-05 12:21 /usr/bin/gmake -> make*

Salazaar
25th November 2007, 20:54
I'm trying to compile ndiswrapper.
What's the last buch of code?

wysota
25th November 2007, 21:00
If you want ndiswrapper you obviously need the kernel sources, at least the stripped version. But why not simply install ndiswrapper instead of compiling it? "urpmi ndiswrapper" should do the trick. If it's not on the DVD, you should probably configure some network package source containing non-free software. Visiting http://easyurpmi.zarb.org might be a good thing to do either way.

Salazaar
25th November 2007, 21:29
I don't have kernel sources. When I download mine from www.kernel.org after unpacking archive a get a text file ?? What to do with it?

wysota
25th November 2007, 21:44
Don't download from kernel.org. Install the kernel-source or kernel-source-stripped package using your distro's package manager (rpmdrake/urpmi). I'd recommend installing ndiswrapper using urpmi though. It should be on your dvd.