PDA

View Full Version : Qtopia Vs Qt/X11 confusion...

b1
22nd November 2007, 12:48
G'Day all,

Let me start by saying I am new to the embedded world so please be gentle....

I am looking at buying a PDA ( a TDS Nomad) to use for some personal projects (ham radio but don't hold that against me!). It comes pre-installed with Linux (2.6) and the option of X11/GTK+/Qt4.3 or Qtopia 2.2.

Now my problem is I am not sure which version to go for. I have written some simple apps in Qt4.3 on my desktop Linux/windows machine and I would like to run them on the PDA. I am guessing that I should go with the X11/Qt4.3 version since the (I'm guessing) the Qtopia 2.2 version is not directly compatible with Qt4.3.

Does this mean I should be able to just copy my app to the PDA and it should run? In other words can the compiling be done on the desktop and the final app then just be copied over to the PDA and run? Or does it need to be compiled on PDA to allow for the processor differences?

Taking it further am I correct in assuming that if I write an app in Qt4.3 I can cross compile it using Qtopia 4.3 and it will run on a PDA using Qtopia 4.3/Linux (obviously there would be some changes due to screen sizes, pointing devices, etc.)?

Sorry if I sound confused, but I am! I am sure the concept is quite simple I just haven't got it yet.

Here a link to the device...
http://www.sdgsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=51

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, B1.

wysota
22nd November 2007, 13:31
Does this mean I should be able to just copy my app to the PDA and it should run? In other words can the compiling be done on the desktop and the final app then just be copied over to the PDA and run? Or does it need to be compiled on PDA to allow for the processor differences?
You need to recompile it for your PDA. The processor is probably different and installed library versions and paths are surely different.

Taking it further am I correct in assuming that if I write an app in Qt4.3 I can cross compile it using Qtopia 4.3 and it will run on a PDA using Qtopia 4.3/Linux (obviously there would be some changes due to screen sizes, pointing devices, etc.)?
Yes, this is correct. The changes apart from the differences you mention are just minor modifications.

BTW. Qt is coming to Windows Mobile as well, so using the Win Mobile version is an option as well.

b1
24th November 2007, 13:25
Thanks Wysota,

I am starting to get the hang of it. A bit more reading is required but its coming together.

Thanks, B1.

MarkoSan
28th November 2007, 14:14
Taking it further am I correct in assuming that if I write an app in Qt4.3 I can cross compile it using Qtopia 4.3 and it will run on a PDA using Qtopia 4.3/Linux (obviously there would be some changes due to screen sizes, pointing devices, etc.)? Is this possible in general? To write an app in qt and then cross compile it for qtopia and it works?? I mean withhout single change of source?

wysota
28th November 2007, 17:19
You need to change QApplication or to QtopiaApplication. If you have a user interface that works well for desktops and handhelds, that's it.