PDA

View Full Version : Issues building 4.3.2 x11 shared version on Ubuntu 7.10

rickbsgu
4th December 2007, 15:44
Trying to shared build qt4 on Ubuntu 7.10.

After doing the configure, I start the build - qtcore seems to build ok, but the subsequent builds (x11, gui, etc.) rely on qtcore. The build fais with 'cannot find -lQtCore' during the link. The -L is pointing to the right place, and there are the following qtcore entries in the lib directory:

libQtCore.la
libQtCore.prl
libQtCore.so.4.3.2
libQtCore.so.4.3.2.debug

Here's the config line:

./configure -prefix (unzip path) -debug -fast -no-qt3support -optimized-qmake

The installation is the same as the build directory (which the build process seems to acknowledge and tells me not to do a 'make install'.) I've tried removing everything but the -debug flag, and I still get the same result.

Wazzup? Is the build process needing to do a 'ln -s' of one of the libqtCore.* entries to libQtCore.{so,a} or some such thing? Why can't it find the -lQtCore?

Scratching my head... for the interim I've built it statically and that will have to do, for now.

rickb

rickbsgu
4th December 2007, 16:43
Ok, I see partially what's going on - the submakefiles want to create sub-version softlinks to the major version, then copy the whole set up to lib.

For some reason, that's failing on Ubuntu. If I make the links manually, the build proceeds.

Still thinking... Maybe there's a permissions problem?

rickb

rickbsgu
4th December 2007, 20:56
Hm. So, I created a script to make the links in the lib each time the build failed, then restart the make until it finally completes. A little wanky, but it works and I have a good debug shared build.

Yeesh. You'd think after 'n' years, the trolls would have this figured out.

wysota
4th December 2007, 22:03
I'm sure Qt is tested on Ubuntu, as it's the favourite distro of some of the trolls. Maybe you experience some permission or filesystem problem?

rickbsgu
7th December 2007, 11:09
I'm sure Qt is tested on Ubuntu, as it's the favourite distro of some of the trolls. Maybe you experience some permission or filesystem problem?

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

I checked the permissions, etc. All seems to be fine. Might be an fs issue of some sort - I'm doing this in an Ubuntu 7.10 VM on Parallels (Mac), across a cifs mount to the Mac disk. Might be something there, although I seem to be able to do all of the operations by hand ok.

Anyway, the workaround got me going.

Thanks, anyway.
rickb

wysota
7th December 2007, 11:28
You might report that to the Trolls. I'm sure they'll take a closer look at it.

rickbsgu
11th December 2007, 01:44
Ok, I'll have to figure out how to do that.

This is the open source X11 version - I'll get on TT's site and see if I can find the appropriate channel.

(On edit) Followup: Done. Also a problem I was having with the Mac build.

Cheers,
rickb