PDA

View Full Version : Which QtDesigner to use with Qtopia

Benjamin
13th December 2007, 15:52
Hi all,

I am new to Qtopia. I have managed to install qtopia-core-opensource-4.3.2 and I would like to know which QtDesigner I could use with this Qtopia.

Tnx,
Benjamin

high_flyer
13th December 2007, 16:13
what do you mean?
Are there more then one designer?

high_flyer
13th December 2007, 16:15
Please don't cross post, one post per subject is enough.

avrecorder
13th December 2007, 22:13
QtDesigner is from Qt package, not from Qtopia.
After install Qt, you will get QtDesigner and Qvfb. The 2 are very helpful tools when you work on Qtopia.
There is a good document on www.youtiyou.com, talking about embedded linux and Qtopia.

Benjamin
14th December 2007, 08:54
Tnx for the replay! But I still don't know which version of QTDesigner I could use with Qtopia. If I understand right Qtopia does not have its own designer?

high_flyer
14th December 2007, 09:08
Benjamin, since you are not coding ON your embedded system, but on a PC, you can install the regular Qt on your PC and use the designer that comes with it.
Designer does nothing more than generate an ui file.
You can then put that file in your embedded app code.
In case QTopia does not use uic, you can first generate the code from the ui on your PC, and copy the generated code to your embedded project.

Benjamin
14th December 2007, 09:21
OK. I have tried to make some simple app (form with one button) with QtDesigner 3.3.6 but when I try to compile it, it says uic: File generated with too old version of Qt Designer.

My enviroment variables are:

QTDIR=/veliki/install/qt/qtopia
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/veliki/install/qt/qtopia/lib
PATH=/veliki/install/qt/qtopia/bin:$PATH

high_flyer
14th December 2007, 09:47
Qt4 and Qt3 are not compatible.
Choose one of the two.
Qt3 designer allowed some basic application code, which was not really a good design in my view, and I guess the trolls see that also that way, since Qt4 designer does not allow code manipulation any more, just ui design.
If you are working with Qt3, I suggest you just create the ui with the designer, do the rest of the code normally.

Byapti
17th December 2007, 07:51
Hi,

I think the Qtopia article on http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7319394180.html may be helpful in this discussion.

This popular white paper is written by some engineering folks from our organization Mindfire Solutions (http://www.mindfiresolutions.com).

I hope you find it useful!

Cheers,
Byapti

Benjamin
19th December 2007, 08:23
I have found out that I can not use QtDesigner3 with Qtopia. Based on the article that I read I can only use QtDesigner2 :-( What about QtDesigner4?

high_flyer
19th December 2007, 10:12
I used QDeisgner4 with Qtopia4.