PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Qt?

gfunk
17th January 2008, 20:24
I know there's the official way, but just curious if everyone pronounces it the same way. ;)

wysota
17th January 2008, 20:57
I know there's the official way,
There is? I don't think so as even the Trolls pronounce it in various ways.

but just curious if everyone pronounces it the same way. ;)
It should be a multiple choice poll, because I pronounce it differently depending on the language I'm using :)

Brandybuck
17th January 2008, 21:49
From what I have seen, North Americans say "CUE-TEE", while Europeans say "CUTE". I have no idea what other regions use. I suspect it's CUTE as well, because that's what the Trolls say.

wysota
17th January 2008, 22:38
Some of the Trolls say "CUE-TEE" or "cutie" as well, maybe those Yankee ones? :)

I say "Q-T" in Polish and "cute" in English.

Uwe
18th January 2008, 09:35
I say "Q-T" in Polish and "cute" in English.
The same for me but in German. To be honest I never heard "cute" in a German conversation.

By the way: at the last Qt day I had to notice how ugly it is to pronounce Qwt in an English conversation ( in German it is easier, more like CUE-Whee-TEE). So I decided to pronounce it "quit".

Uwe

wysota
18th January 2008, 11:01
In Polish it is similar again (we pronounce letters in a similar manner), but the "w" (and "q" as well) is even harder pronounced than in German (QU-WU-TE) with "wu" like in "wunderbar" and "qu" like in "quality".

ashishsaryar
18th January 2008, 13:49
Qt is pronounced as "Cute"..

ashukla
24th January 2008, 11:55
I am feeling better with QUTI. because I is used for both ee or e.

Gopala Krishna
24th January 2008, 14:09
I voted for the last option. But looks like the "cute" is easier and nicer to pronounce.
I just hope i can train my brain to say cute instead of qt ;)

Brandybuck
24th January 2008, 19:38
Last weekend at the KDE Release Event, I heard someone pronounce UI as "oowee". This got me to thinking about other two letter words that I normally pronounce as letters.

I'm certain "Xt" is pronounced "EX-TEE", but what about VI? Is it pronounced "VEE-EYE" or "VEYE"?

wysota
24th January 2008, 22:43
"oowee"? What the hell is that?

elcuco
25th January 2008, 00:34
... just like "oy vey" ... :)

wysota
25th January 2008, 01:15
It still doesn't sound like "UI" :) UI should definitely be spelled as two separate vowels, because it's an acronym of "User Interface". With "Qt" it's not that obvious because of the small letter "t". Of course one might now say that "GUI" should then be pronounced as "G-U-I" although everybody says in as a three letter word. But I think that's because it has become a common word that is not treated as an acronym. Of course it all depends on the language - in Polish "UI" can be spelled only one way, regardless of the way you are trying to read it. There is just no way of pronouncing it in two different ways (maybe apart from clearly dividing those two letters or saying them as a single sequence).

ashukla
25th January 2008, 06:50
Pronounciation of world of different people surrounding the world, is different. The reason behind this is Mother Tongue of different people surrounding the world is different. So, It will be endless discussion. Because everyone pronounciate a same world with different tone, So exact pronounciation cannot be get correctly.

yop
28th January 2008, 22:22
KYOO-TAF :)
(TAF is how you pronounce T in Greek)
From the given options I use cutie.

Gopala Krishna
29th January 2008, 11:58
Probably the new pronunciation should be Nokute ;) (no koot, not "no cute"! )

jpn
16th January 2009, 21:03
Btw, did you guys notice how the new web page promotes the "cute" way of pronouncing? :)

sneg
8th February 2009, 02:17
Since I live in Germany, I most often pronounce it [ku:te:] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xsampa) (similar to COO-TAY). In English I pronounce it [kju:ti:] (KYOO-TEE).

Dante
23rd July 2009, 04:33
I'm really happy for you that you have more than one people to speak with them about Qt.I just can speak about Qt with one man.and that one can't program in Qt.Just knows C and PASCAL.I say cute and he says kyoo-tee.And my language is farsi.Because the letters in my language are not english-like we have no simillar word so there is no recommendation.You can do it any way you like.I just chose cute because its was in wikipedia and in its official site(I think)

hazardpeter
7th August 2009, 12:44
I pronounce cute in English, but originally I just said Q.T. (Kê Tê) because my primary language is Portuguese

yogeshgokul
7th August 2009, 15:32
We use cutie (KYOO-tee).
Its cutie and powerful @ same time.

codebehind
13th August 2009, 23:21
before i've heared the Troll pronuncation i (and all i know in Slovenia) said "QT" like Polish. After that i call it cute...
well it is really a cute framework isn't it?

ComaWhite
21st August 2009, 11:57
Well when I was at OsCon. I hung out with a Qt Developer and a CMake developer. And they were pronouncing as "cute"

almo
22nd August 2012, 21:32
but what about VI? Is it pronounced "VEE-EYE" or "VEYE"? VEE-EYE. http://thomer.com/vi/vi.html