PDA

View Full Version : Useful tip for MS Windows

McToo
9th March 2006, 09:45
Morning All :)

Found an interesting thing I thought I'd share. If you've installed cygwin on your pc, you have access to all the good ol' shell commands... 'grep' being the one of specific interest.

The thing I didn't realise was the ability to run DOS based commands in the cygwin shell and pipe the output to grep.

Visual Studio has DUMPBIN.EXE which gives information on dlls. So in the cygwin shell you could do this:-

DUMPBIN.EXE /EXPORTS "c:\Qt\3.3.4\bin\qt-mt334.dll" |grep QComboTableItem

to list QComboTableItem exports in qt-mt334.dll.

No more paging through reams of function names hoping you dont miss the one you were looking for.

McToo

fullmetalcoder
10th March 2006, 22:15
Morning All :)

Found an interesting thing I thought I'd share. If you've installed cygwin on your pc, you have access to all the good ol' shell commands... 'grep' being the one of specific interest.

The thing I didn't realise was the ability to run DOS based commands in the cygwin shell and pipe the output to grep.

Visual Studio has DUMPBIN.EXE which gives information on dlls. So in the cygwin shell you could do this:-

DUMPBIN.EXE /EXPORTS "c:\Qt\3.3.4\bin\qt-mt334.dll" |grep QComboTableItem

to list QComboTableItem exports in qt-mt334.dll.

No more paging through reams of function names hoping you dont miss the one you were looking for.

McToo

Sounds interesting but :

1) I don't no anything at shel : what dies 'grep' do ?
2) I tried cygwin and it failed building Qt4 on my old WinME (M$ Win paths and Unix paths mixed ...)
3) needs Visual Studion installed (i.e. Win 2k or XP => what could Win 9x/ME users do with your tips?)

jacek
10th March 2006, 22:54
what dies 'grep' do ?
grep can find all occurrences of a given pattern, but that really doesn't matter. The most important thing that you can unleash the power of Unix tools even on windows.

I tried cygwin and it failed building Qt4 on my old WinME (M$ Win paths and Unix paths mixed ...)
Just don't add path to Cygwin binaries to PATH environment variable. There's also MINGW_IN_SHELL.