PDA

View Full Version : Qt Suitable as windowing system for 3D game?

JimDaniel
11th February 2008, 01:26
I've been doing some research on google and here - found a few things from a couple years ago. I'm aware of QGlWidget, but I wanted to see if you guys knew of anyone who has used Qt as the windowing system of a 3D game and/or for the 2D menus/HUD. And if not, do you guys know any reason why Qt wouldn't be suitable for something like this?

fullmetalcoder
11th February 2008, 17:02
There are already a couple of realtime 3d games available which use KDE3 and thus Qt 3. As they don't seeme to perform that bad and also because Qt 4 is, AFAIK, faster than Qt 4 inmost cases I'd say you can do that. However this is not necessarily recommended... It really depends on what you want to do, what you can do and how much time you want to invest. Indeed using Qt in this case would be faster than writing a GUI on top of a graphics engine though it would probably be more limited (you couldn't do something as neat as what you can find in recent commercial quality games for instance...)

JimDaniel
11th February 2008, 17:09
Ah, thanks a lot. The game I'm planning will have very basic menus and little to no HUD, so maybe Qt will be adequate. Can you possibly point me somewhere I can see screenshots of the games you referred to?

Brandybuck
11th February 2008, 18:01
QGLWidget provides a context for OpenGL, nothing more. So you are running a real native OpenGL, with no performance hit. Qt will provide all the GUI you need around the OpenGL. It's the best of both worlds: native OpenGL performance and ease of UI development.

JimDaniel
11th February 2008, 18:56
Awesome, just what I wanted to hear :-)

fullmetalcoder
12th February 2008, 07:52
Ah, thanks a lot. The game I'm planning will have very basic menus and little to no HUD, so maybe Qt will be adequate. Can you possibly point me somewhere I can see screenshots of the games you referred to?
I was mainly refering to Boson (http://boson.eu.org/index.php) though there are probably others. Have a look at the screenshots (http://boson.eu.org/screenshots.php).