PDA

View Full Version : KATE with Kdbg in PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniMe

GreyGeek
19th February 2008, 17:07
I've been developing QT apps under Linux with KATE as the editor. I had been relying on the output of the gcc compiler for syntactical errors and QDebug output for logical errors.

I decided to give Kdbg a try.

QT4.3.2 was already compiled with debug and release options.

I compiled my app.

I started Kdbg and using the "Executable" menu option I opened the app debug executable. Using the "Sources" menu option I opened the cpp file that I wanted to step through and set some breakpoints. Then I clicked the "Run" icon in Kdbg.

The process works just as well, if not better, than the debug process in MSVS C++ 6.0, and it's faster. The gcc compiler seems to get some errors that cl misses.

I can set permanent or quick watches on every type of variable. I have all the stepping functions and then some. If I click on the little "+" at the head of each line it breaks out the assembler registers and flags for that code section. I can set and remove breakpoints on the go. And more.

In Linux QT/KATE/Kdbg is a powerful app development combination!

elcuco
26th February 2008, 23:13
....? gcc fast?
On my system, gcc is 3 times slower the cl.exe from VisualStudio 9. Dud, you are using VS6, please upgrade (you can download the "free" version at no cost from MS site).

wysota
28th February 2008, 00:43
On my system, gcc is 3 times slower the cl.exe from VisualStudio 9.
Full or incremental link in the latter? Or are we talking about just the unit compilation time here?

GreyGeek
9th May 2008, 18:13
....? gcc fast?
On my system, gcc is 3 times slower the cl.exe from VisualStudio 9. Dud, you are using VS6, please upgrade (you can download the "free" version at no cost from MS site).

Well, as it is often said, "YMMV".

I use VS at work on their dime.

On my own equipment I run Linux exclusively, so a "free" anything from MS would not be of value to me. Thanks anyway!