PDA

View Full Version : Help this guy find its way.

Dg!Mortal
12th April 2008, 15:52
hi
I am a multimedia app programmer, I haven't started with qt yet. I have some Question about qt before I dive into it:

-How many external files does a qt program require to run, for example dlls and such. and can It be used to make Autorun programs for CD/Dvd etc?
-How fast and memory consuming qt programs are comparing to win32 native applicaions.
-How much nice does a qt app is able too look like? you know design and face matters the most for a multimedia programmer and how easy is that?
-Is it able to write programms with windows vista only features like side bars and gadgets and etc?

Thanks in advance. and excuse me if my questions are too noobish.:o

wysota
12th April 2008, 16:09
-How many external files does a qt program require to run, for example dlls and such.
In usual cases at least two, but you can compile in static mode and have no extra dependencies.

and can It be used to make Autorun programs for CD/Dvd etc?
Yes.

-How fast and memory consuming qt programs are comparing to win32 native applicaions.
Comparable. Memory footprint is a few megs larger but it pays back if you start using Qt extensively. As for speed, it depends what you do. It's quite quick in general.

-How much nice does a qt app is able too look like?
Very nice. You can practically do anything you like with it when it comes to looks.

you know design and face matters the most for a multimedia programmer and how easy is that?
Depends what you need. For most popular use-cases it is straightforward, especially using stylesheets.

-Is it able to write programms with windows vista only features like side bars and gadgets and etc?
I don't know much about Vista, so I don't know what you exactly mean by side bars and gadgets, but most probably yes.

Dg!Mortal
12th April 2008, 18:15
Thanks a lot, but one more thing,
Can we use windows api functions along with qt(like mfc)? or its name spaces will conflict?

wysota
12th April 2008, 18:31
Can we use windows api functions along with qt(like mfc)?
Yes, of course.

or its name spaces will conflict?
No conflicts should occur, at least for standard libraries.