PDA

View Full Version : Removing gradient from QPushButton

Lexrst
22nd April 2008, 00:54
Hello all,

I'm new to QT and I apologize if this has been has been asked before but I can't see to find this info anywhere.

using QT 4.3.3 on OpenSuse 10.3

I have QpushButtons that are being dynamically created and added to a layout in a frame.
How do I make a QPushButton not have a gradient for the background color? I'm setting the style sheet of the button to be:

pushButton->setStyleSheet{"background-color: white; color:black;}";

and when I see the button on the screen it's not solid while with black text. The background is a white to grey gradient. I know I could create an all white image and use that as the background, but it seems like there should be a straight forward way to do this.

So is there a way to do this using the style sheet or do I need another approach, like modifing the Brush in the control's palette.

Thanks for your time.

aamer4yu
22nd April 2008, 07:20
Try setting the setAutoFillBackground() property and see if it works

Also cud u show more code where u are setting the stylesheet ?

Lexrst
22nd April 2008, 16:36
I broke it down to the simplest test and I still can't seem to accomplish what I'm after.

void MainWindow::changeButtonColor()
{
//pushButton->setStyleSheet("color: black; background-color: white;");
// tried both lines
pushButton->setStyleSheet("color: black; background: white;");
pushButton->setAutoFillBackground(true);
}

this code is declared as a slot and connected to a QPushButton on the MainWindow that's been created. When this code is executed the button still shows a white to gray gradient. What I'd like to see is a button that is a solid white background with black text.

marcel
22nd April 2008, 16:47
I think the property for the back color is background-color, not background.

Lexrst
22nd April 2008, 17:29
I think the property for the back color is background-color, not background.

I tried background-color first and then tried background just to see if it made any difference and it didn't change anything.

Lexrst
22nd April 2008, 18:16
I found a way to get the buttons to have a solid color background.

pushButton->setStyleSheet("background-color: qlineargradient(x1: 0, y1: 0, x2: 0, y2: 1, stop: 0 white, stop: 1 white);");

Now the question becomes why do I have to use a qlineargradient to get the QPushButton to be a solid color. :)

wysota
22nd April 2008, 21:28
Does the problem occur with all widget styles or a particular one (probably plastique)?

Lexrst
22nd April 2008, 22:47
Does the problem occur with all widget styles or a particular one (probably plastique)?

The style of the widget seems to be the cause of my problem. All other styles I tried (CDE, Motif, Cleanlooks, Windows) seem to work as expected, giving me the solid color background I expected. Only Plastique seems to have the issue described in this thread.

So I have a way to accomplish what I need but now the question becomes..
Why does the plastique style override what I put in the StyleSheet and force it to be a gradient when I specify a single color?

Thanks for a push in the right direction!

wysota
23rd April 2008, 00:06
What happens if you overload the style for different states of the button like :hover?

QPushButton, QPushButton:hover { background: white; color: black; }

Lexrst
29th April 2008, 18:10
What happens if you overload the style for different states of the button like :hover?

QPushButton, QPushButton:hover { background: white; color: black; }

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. Been focused on other projects.

If I overload for :hover, with the above sytnax, using the Plastique style I still don't get a solid color background in the button, it's a white to grey gradient. I get similar results if I overload for :pressed with the same syntax.

So I'm using a qlineargradient to get a solid color background for my QPushButton, when using the Plastique style.

From my testing this only appears to happen with the Plastique style and not with any other sytle that I tried.

wysota
29th April 2008, 21:58
This might be a bug in stylesheets or plastique.

Lexrst
29th April 2008, 23:18
This might be a bug in stylesheets or plastique.

Along the lines of what I was thinking.

It's as if the QStyle is being applied no matter what I specify in the style sheet, when the plastique style is used. Other styles I tried, behaved as I expected when stylesheets were used to modify the look of the QPushButton.

AlgoRythm
1st January 2019, 19:27
Hello all,

I'm new to QT and I apologize if this has been has been asked before but I can't see to find this info anywhere.

using QT 4.3.3 on OpenSuse 10.3

I have QpushButtons that are being dynamically created and added to a layout in a frame.
How do I make a QPushButton not have a gradient for the background color? I'm setting the style sheet of the button to be:

pushButton->setStyleSheet{"background-color: white; color:black;}";

and when I see the button on the screen it's not solid while with black text. The background is a white to grey gradient. I know I could create an all white image and use that as the background, but it seems like there should be a straight forward way to do this.

So is there a way to do this using the style sheet or do I need another approach, like modifing the Brush in the control's palette.

Thanks for your time.

I know this is from 2008, but as the answer is not posted here, I will answer this for anyone who arrived here from Google as I did with the same question. The answer comes from this page:

http://doc.qt.io/archives/qt-4.8/stylesheet-reference.html

Where it says:

Warning: If you only set a background-color on a QPushButton, the background may not appear unless you set the border property to some value. This is because, by default, the QPushButton draws a native border which completely overlaps the background-color

So, setting the border to none will remove that gradient.

QPushButton { background-color: red; border: none; }