PDA

View Full Version : From Visual Studio 2005 to KDevelop

kodiak
29th April 2008, 08:10
Hello,

I need to compile my Qt4 Visual Studio 2005 project in Linux KDevelop environment. What steps should I take to achive that?

wysota
29th April 2008, 08:55
call qmake && make from the command line. KDevelop is not required for that. If you insist on using KDevelop, use "Import project" menu entry from KDevelop's project menu and find your project file. If you don't have a qmake project file, you'll have to generate it using qmake -project or write the project file yourself.

stevey
29th April 2008, 09:59
I'd recommend writing your .pro files manually as the integration module does a bodgy job, well the way it adds the references to libs differs and doesn't always work correctly.

wysota
29th April 2008, 10:34
I'd recommend not using the VS integration module at all ;)

stevey
1st May 2008, 23:08
Why? I find the integration to be a good time saver.

wysota
4th May 2008, 20:14
I find the integration to be a good time saver.

How does it apply to what you have written in your previous post?

stevey
5th May 2008, 01:30
Hmm, well there's the project wizards which help to generate the various Qt projects with minimal effort, you also get a header file containing a premade __declspec(dllimport), etc define, this is a good time saver.

There's also being able to double click a Pushbutton and get an on_pushbutton_clicked() signature and implementation automatically filled out.

Changing Qt back end version is a couple of clicks away.

I do all my dev in VS with the integration, then months later when I want to publish I'll make a .pro file for the cross platform bit.
I've done it the other way by hand creating a .pro file it I have to say it slows down the development process, but the trade off is that I'm not fluent in the qmake language so I need to commit some time at the end of a project if I want to build a .pro file.

I've also tried setting up my .pro to create a .vcproj file for me but it does the library dependencies differently. I spend up to 8 hours a day in Visual Studio at work, so I'm used to the way it handles dependency folders and libs, so in the end it is quicker to work the same way and build the .pro file at a later stage.

wysota
5th May 2008, 07:00
There's also being able to double click a Pushbutton and get an on_pushbutton_clicked() signature and implementation automatically filled out.
Automatic connections suck.

then months later when I want to publish I'll make a .pro file for the cross platform bit.
And that's the whole problem - you have to create the project file from scratch. If you want something more than a very basic project this is going to be pain in the neck. Building the project file incrementally as you need it should be easier and the integration should do it for you instead of transforming the project file to VS project. Many problems arise after that point.

stevey
5th May 2008, 10:15
Each to their own.
Anyway if the .pro file manual authoring step was going to be too difficult I could always write a reusable converter.

Anyway I'm willing to enter an best ide / process debate so I won't answer this thread anymore.