PDA

View Full Version : How to install a Qt-WinCE app on the device?

nish
24th May 2008, 04:18
Hi..
We have just ported our desktop application in Qt4.4 to Qt-WinCE (Windows mobile 5.0 poketpc).

The size of our application(all the data files that is) is about 200MB and so it only can be
installed on a memory card.

Now we have to make an installer for our application. But all the info i find on the net says
that you have to create a .cab file which the user will transfer to their device and install from there.

the second method is to make a destop installer which will automate this process.

in both cases i have to make a cab file. As u can imagine.... first copying 200mb cab file on the device and then unpaking it is a costly solution.

so what i want is an installer that can run on desktop and directly copy files to memory card on the device and make a shortcut in start menu. that is it.

One solution may be that we make a desktop installer that will copy the files on the memory card plugged into a card reader rather than device. and make a small utility that will create the shortcuts. but this does not looks professional and secondly it is not very user friendly especialy in our case coz our users are not tech savvy.

so plz provide me with some solutions... thx...

nish
25th May 2008, 16:47
common ppl.. has no one used Qt-WinCE yet???

AcerExtensa
3rd June 2008, 12:53
common ppl.. has no one used Qt-WinCE yet???
Have started for some dayes with qt-wince :) ....

One solution may be that we make a desktop installer that will copy the files on the memory card plugged into a card reader rather than device. and make a small utility that will create the shortcuts. but this does not looks professional and secondly it is not very user friendly especialy in our case coz our users are not tech savvy.

I think its the best way.... 200mb throught cab installer it can take infinity to install :)
or maybe add to Your app First run check... and let users just copy unpacked packet to device and execute exe file... after that Your app checks if it runs first time, if yes create links registry entrys and so on... after that execute it self..........