PDA

View Full Version : Multiplatform "excel" generation

jpujolf
11th June 2008, 08:28
Hi all,

First, I know this is not a Qt Programming question strictly speaking, but is related to a need I have with Qt.

In the past I wrote a very simple Excel file generator ( in XML ). Now I'm trying to do something I can't find anywhere on the web.

I've to export my application on-screen tables & trees to excel files to allow users to manipulate data externally from the ERP I'm developing. I don't want to use excel nor QAx, because it must work on Windows / Linux.

Until now I've tried two options :

- Generate Excel's XML format ( slow for large files and undocumented ). Also OpenOffice cannot load those files. :(

- xlslib ( a 3rd party library I've found, not complete & generates Excel 95 files, that are size-limited ) :mad:

None of them is good enough for me, as you can see...

The best option for me should be generate OpenOffice "calc" files, so :

- File format is an open & known format
- Works on Linux & New versions of MS Office versions.

And my questions :

Someone knows where I can found a simple C++ API documentation for OpenOffice ? The one I've found in openoffice's site is big and very complex...

- Trolltech or any partner has interest in develop an "OpenOffice link" inside Qt's library ? Qt can generate PDF files, why not generate an open format like OpenOffice's odt / ods ...

- Somebody knows a better alternative than the one I'm proposing ? Suggestions accepted... :D

Many thanks

Jordi

spud
11th June 2008, 12:33
- Somebody knows a better alternative than the one I'm proposing ? Suggestions accepted... :D

How about just generating a comma separated file(*.csv)? It's very simple to generate and most applications can read it.

jpujolf
11th June 2008, 12:51
Oh yes !! I never thought that !! ;)

Sorry for the ironic comment, but... Of course, I've a simple CSV export, but my users want EVERYTHING : colors, cell merge, embedded images, formulas, ...

By now CSV is my actual "big volume working" solution, but forces the final user to import to the spreadsheet program, format the output, etc...

Anyway, thanks for the answer