PDA

View Full Version : qtgui4.dll error in visual c++ 2005

Comptrol
14th June 2008, 12:26
Hi, I have installed qt to use in visual c++ 2005. when I run the program in debug mode it works nicely; however in the release mode , I have this run time error after safely compiling, except the error number is 1644280 instead:

http://www.autopano.net/forum/showimage.php?pid=23257&filename=ScreenShot.png

the necessary directories are set as requested. So, the code must be seeing the qtgui4.dll file in the respective directories[ bin and lib directories in this case.] . could you help me solve this error, any idea?

Thanks .

edit: my qt edition is 4.3.4 and I have checked this similar thread , and it didn't help me: http://www.qtcentre.org/forum/f-newbie-4/t-entry-point-not-found-error-530.html

Comptrol
14th June 2008, 14:58
I have checked the regarding file with the dependency walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) and there appeared such error and warning:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7843/qtcomv3.png

there is a checksum error in qtcore4.dll and an "unresolved import warning" in mpr.dll -as indicated here-
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/deployment-windows.html#application-dependencies

the erroor belonging to mpr.dll is said to be unimportant in the page of dependency walker:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/faq.html

"
Why am I seeing a lot of applications where MPR.DLL shows up in red under SHLWAPI.DLL because it is missing a function named WNetRestoreConnectionA? I also get a "Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module" message.
Some versions of SHLWAPI.DLL (like the one on Windows XP) have a delay-load dependency on the function WNetRestoreConnectionA in MPR.DLL. Missing delay-load functions are not a problem as long as the calling DLL is prepared to handle the situation. Dependency Walker flags all potential problems as it cannot detect if an application intends to handle the issue. In the case of SHLWAPI.DLL, this is not an problem as it does not require WNetRestoreConnectionA to exist and handles the missing function at runtime. This warning can be ignored. See the "How to Interpret Warnings and Errors in Dependency Walker" section in help for more details.
"

So, isn't there anyone help me? :S

thanks again

wysota
14th June 2008, 15:44
It seems that your Qt libraries are compiled for MinGW and not MSVC. Did you compile them yourself? The ones distributed with the open source binary version of Qt are meant for MinGW.

Comptrol
14th June 2008, 16:50
It seems that your Qt libraries are compiled for MinGW and not MSVC. Did you compile them yourself? The ones distributed with the open source binary version of Qt are meant for MinGW.

Hi Thanks for your answer.

I didn't understand if i compiled myself :S I use nmake to build them. Afterwards, i compile them by pressing f5.
As for not running in MSVC, if there were some problem in not working in MSVC, shouldn't same error appear in Debug Mode either. I mean this error occurs only in Release Mode. Do you think this is a deliberate measure to prevent using QT in MSVC? and yes this is open source version.

wysota
14th June 2008, 16:56
I didn't understand if i compiled myself :S I use nmake to build them. Afterwards, i compile them by pressing f5.
"Them" meaning Qt libraries? What exactly did you do to install Qt? What did you download and what did you do afterwards?

As for not running in MSVC, if there were some problem in not working in MSVC, shouldn't same error appear in Debug Mode either.
No, that's not true. You might have compiled debug mode libraries yourself using MSVC but the release version of the libs might have been precompiled for MinGW.

Do you think this is a deliberate measure to prevent using QT in MSVC?

No, that's certainly a problem with your installation.

Comptrol
14th June 2008, 17:12
"Them" meaning Qt libraries? What exactly did you do to install Qt? What did you download and what did you do afterwards?

Yes I meant libraries. But clearly i had misunderstood your question. I wrote "configure" after extracting the zip files to compile the files.

No, that's not true. You might have compiled debug mode libraries
yourself using MSVC but the release version of the libs might have been precompiled for MinGW.

So in any way, can I use open source QT both in debug and release mode in MSVC or should I use Qt Open source only and only in MinGw?

I installed this Qt a few months ago, so I don't remember the steps exactly but I really spent my days to manage installing. I finished Installing by following the steps indicated here (http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/Building_QT_4_with_Visual_C++_2005#head-0c78ed56efcfad10f4d3435d9d5c2bff577c1d11)

If I am not wrong . I extracted the open source version in a directory. and wrote command line "configure" and "nmake" and something related to Visual Studio's 2005 Command Prompt[ not default command prompt of Windows] to make connection between Visual Studio and Qt libraries.

I really appreciate your efforts for helping thanks a lot.

wysota
14th June 2008, 17:23
Yes I meant libraries. But clearly i had misunderstood your question. I wrote "configure" after extracting the zip files to compile the files.
Which archive did you download? You should have downloaded the source archive and not the binary archive (which by the way also contains the sources).

So in any way, can I use open source QT both in debug and release mode in MSVC or should I use Qt Open source only and only in MinGw?
Yes, of course you can use Qt with MSVC in both release and debug modes. You just need to have them built properly.

Comptrol
14th June 2008, 17:40
Which archive did you download? You should have downloaded the source archive and not the binary archive (which by the way also contains the sources).

Yes I have Installed source archive. And also followed the steps doc directory of extracted files to install in Windows, which could be reached online as well:

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/install-win.html

If we pay attention of the first passage of this text , we will see this crucial warning :S

"Qt Open Source Edition is not officially supported for use with any version of Visual Studio. Integration with Visual Studio is available as part of the Qt Commercial Editions."

Do you think this could be the reason of the error i am taking , otherwise, what do you suggest me to; should I install the source code again or Just stop using MSVC and prefer to MinGw?

Ps: Thanks for sparing your time to me.

wysota
14th June 2008, 19:37
Why don't you install 4.4 instead of the several months old 4.2?

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 09:25
Why don't you install 4.4 instead of the several months old 4.2?

Hi wysota, I have reinstalled the QT with qt-win-opensource-src-4.4.0.zip (http://www.trolltech.com/download?target=http://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/X11/Qt/qt/source/qt-win-opensource-src-4.4.0.zip). and it works fine this time both in release and debug time . However, while i was uninstalling source code; I uninstalled development tools as well. So, I don't have them currently. as a result, I intend to install them again by this package qt-win-opensource-4.4.0-mingw.exe (http://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/X11/Qt/qt/source/qt-win-opensource-4.4.0-mingw.exe). yet, during the installation it claims to install source codes as well-which I have already Installed. Hence, will I install this package or something else to use development tools?

wysota
15th June 2008, 09:43
So do you want to use Qt with MinGW or MSVC? I'm a bit confused :) What development tools are you talking about?

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 09:56
So do you want to use Qt with MinGW or MSVC? I'm a bit confused :) What development tools are you talking about?

I am using MSVC 2005 but I want to be able to use design tools (http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/qttools.html) as well-qt designer, qt assistant, qt linguist . As far as I remember, when I was using previous version, I installed both source code and Mingw seperately for that. I just want to be sure this time by asking you :S I know I am asking a lot :o

wysota
15th June 2008, 10:08
All the tools are built from Qt's sources, so if you compiled the sources, the tools are there as well.

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 10:58
All the tools are built from Qt's sources, so if you compiled the sources, the tools are there as well.

Thanks again, I have found the binary files. However, clearly, regretfully, unfortunately... I only have linguist and assistant ; designer isn't here! can i cry for this??

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7108/designerww7.png

So, what am I supposed to do now? remaking whole source file , which took approximately 15 hours!!! :(

wysota
15th June 2008, 11:25
I don't know what you exactly did, so it's hard to provide a solution :) You might cd into tools/ and then call nmake sub-designer but it's a long shot - you must have done something unusual that designer wasn't built, so there is a good chance there is a reason for that :)

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 11:30
I don't know what you exactly did, so it's hard to provide a solution :) You might cd into tools/ and then call nmake sub-designer but it's a long shot - you must have done something unusual that designer wasn't built, so there is a good chance there is a reason for that :)

all i did was to first wrote
"configure"

and then

"nmake" as it is stated here (http://doc.trolltech.com/main-snapshot/install-win.html)

Ok, I stop trying to use tools on MSVC, can I use them on MINGW at the same time? so that i will just carry the source code MSVC afterwards? btw, I really appreciate your effort to help me.

wysota
15th June 2008, 11:34
Did you pass any options to configure? Did it tell you what are the final features it is going to build into Qt? Did you get any error messages after calling nmake? Please provide details.

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 11:52

now i run nmake again and I got this result with error

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe" -f Makefil
e.Release all

cd pixeltool\ && "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmak
e.exe" -f Makefile

e.Release

cd porting\ && "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.
exe" -f Makefile

cd src\ && "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"
-f Makefile

e.Release

BLA BLA BLA.. THIS CODE GOES ON

ript" -I"..\..\..\..\include" -I"extension" -I"sdk" -I"uilib" -I"shared" -I"..\.
.\..\shared\deviceskin" -I"..\..\..\..\src\tools\rcc" -I"..\..\..\shared\findwid
get" -I"..\..\..\shared\qtgradienteditor" -I"e:\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I"tmp\moc\
debug_shared" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\mkspecs\win32-msvc2005" -Fotmp\obj\debug_shar
ed\ @C:\DOCUME~1\Halliday\LOCALS~1\Temp\nmF30.tmp
richtexteditor.cpp
actioneditor.cpp
orderdialog.cpp
newactiondialog.cpp
gridpanel.cpp
previewconfigurationwidget.cpp
qtresourceeditordialog.cpp
Generating Code...
cl -c -FIlib_pch.h -Yulib_pch.h -Fptmp\obj\debug_shared\QtDesignerd_pch.
pch -nologo -Zm200 -Zc:wchar_t- -Zi -MDd -GR -EHsc -W3 -w34100 -w34189 -DUNICODE
-DWIN32 -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQDESIGNER_SDK_LIBRARY -DQDESIGNER_EXTENSION_LI
BRARY -DQDESIGNER_UILIB_LIBRARY -DQDESIGNER_SHARED_LIBRARY -DQT_DESIGNER -DQT_DL
L -DQT_SCRIPT_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I
"..\..\..\..\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\inclu
de\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\include\QtXml" -I"..\..\.
.\..\include\QtXml" -I"..\..\..\..\include\QtScript" -I"..\..\..\..\include\QtSc
ript" -I"..\..\..\..\include" -I"extension" -I"sdk" -I"uilib" -I"shared" -I"..\.
.\..\shared\deviceskin" -I"..\..\..\..\src\tools\rcc" -I"..\..\..\shared\findwid
get" -I"..\..\..\shared\qtgradienteditor" -I"e:\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I"tmp\moc\
debug_shared" -I"." -I"..\..\..\..\mkspecs\win32-msvc2005" -Fotmp\obj\debug_shar
ed\ @C:\DOCUME~1\Halliday\LOCALS~1\Temp\nmF31.tmp
moc_qtgradientview.cpp
moc_qtgradientviewdialog.cpp
moc_newactiondialog_p.cpp
Generating Code...
link /LIBPATH:"e:\qt\lib" /LIBPATH:"e:\qt\lib" /NOLOGO /DEBUG /DLL /MANI
FEST /MANIFESTFILE:"tmp\obj\debug_shared\QtDesignerd.intermediate.mani fest" /VER
SION:4.40 /OUT:..\..\..\..\lib\QtDesignerd4.dll @C:\DOCUME~1\Halliday\LOCALS~1\T
emp\nmF32.tmp
LINK : ..\..\..\..\lib\QtDesignerd4.dll not found or not built by the last incre
mental link; performing full link
Creating library ..\..\..\..\lib\QtDesignerd4.lib and object ..\..\..\..\lib\
QtDesignerd4.exp
qrc_findwidget.obj : error LNK2011: precompiled object not linked in; image may
not run
..\..\..\..\lib\QtDesignerd4.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\l
ink.EXE"' : return code '0x460'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\n
make.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cd' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
Stop.
Stop.
Stop.

E:\qt>

:s

wysota
15th June 2008, 11:59
Good... now we are getting somewhere. You are missing the libraries for sure. I guess you'll have to recompile at least some of the code... Start by running configure -help, read what options you can pass to configure and rerun configure with those options. At some point you'll get a list of enabled and disabled features. Please paste that list here.

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 12:20
Good... now we are getting somewhere. You are missing the libraries for sure. I guess you'll have to recompile at least some of the code... Start by running configure -help, read what options you can pass to configure and rerun configure with those options. At some point you'll get a list of enabled and disabled features. Please paste that list here.

before running configure -help i copied the missing file,qtdesignerd4.dll, from BIN to LIB since other similar files sizes are equal. however this time i get similar error and that file i copied to BIN got deleted.

here they are:

cd uitools\ && "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.
exe" -f Makefile

e.Debug all

e.Release all

cd lib\ && "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"
-f Makefile

e.Debug all

link /LIBPATH:"e:\qt\lib" /LIBPATH:"e:\qt\lib" /NOLOGO /DEBUG /DLL /MANI
FEST /MANIFESTFILE:"tmp\obj\debug_shared\QtDesignerd.intermediate.mani fest" /VER
SION:4.40 /OUT:..\..\..\..\lib\QtDesignerd4.dll @C:\DOCUME~1\Halliday\LOCALS~1\T
emp\nmF38.tmp
Creating library ..\..\..\..\lib\QtDesignerd4.lib and object ..\..\..\..\lib\
QtDesignerd4.exp
qrc_findwidget.obj : error LNK2011: precompiled object not linked in; image may
not run
..\..\..\..\lib\QtDesignerd4.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\l
ink.EXE"' : return code '0x460'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\n
make.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
Stop.
Stop.
Stop.
Stop.

THANKS ONE MORE TIME

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 12:22
and now the configure -help command

E:\qt>configure -help
Usage: configure [-buildkey <key>]
[-release] [-debug] [-debug-and-release] [-shared] [-static]
[-no-fast] [-fast] [-no-exceptions] [-exceptions]
[-no-accessibility] [-accessibility] [-no-rtti] [-rtti]
[-no-stl] [-stl] [-no-sql-<driver>] [-qt-sql-<driver>]
[-plugin-sql-<driver>] [-system-sqlite] [-arch <arch>]
[-D <define>] [-I <includepath>] [-L <librarypath>]
[-help] [-no-dsp] [-dsp] [-no-vcproj] [-vcproj]
[-no-qmake] [-qmake] [-dont-process] [-process]
[-no-style-<style>] [-qt-style-<style>] [-redo]
[-saveconfig <config>] [-loadconfig <config>]
[-qt-zlib] [-system-zlib] [-no-gif] [-qt-gif] [-no-libpng]
[-qt-libpng] [-system-libpng] [-no-libtiff] [-qt-libtiff]
[-system-libtiff] [-no-libjpeg] [-qt-libjpeg] [-system-libjpeg]
[-no-libmng] [-qt-libmng] [-system-libmng] [-no-qt3support]
[-mmx] [-no-mmx] [-no-3dnow] [-no-sse] [-no-sse2]
[-no-iwmmxt] [-iwmmxt] [-direct3d] [-openssl] [-openssl-linked]
[-no-openssl] [-no-dbus] [-dbus] [-dbus-linked] [-platform <spec>]
[-qtnamespace <namespace>] [-no-phonon] [-phonon]
[-no-webkit] [-webkit]

Installation options:

You may use these options to turn on strict plugin loading:

-buildkey <key> .... Build the Qt library and plugins using the specified <k
ey>. When the library loads plugins, it will only load those that have a matchi
ng <key>.

Configure options:

The defaults (*) are usually acceptable. A plus (+) denotes a default value tha
t needs to be evaluated. If the evaluation succeeds, the feature is included. He
re is a short explanation of each option:

-release ........... Compile and link Qt with debugging turned off.
* -debug ............. Compile and link Qt with debugging turned on.
+ -debug-and-release . Compile and link two Qt libraries, with and without deb
ugging turned on.

* -shared ............ Create and use shared Qt libraries.
-static ............ Create and use static Qt libraries.

* -no-fast ........... Configure Qt normally by generating Makefiles for all p
roject files.
-fast .............. Configure Qt quickly by generating Makefiles only for l
ibrary and subdirectory targets. All other Makefiles are created as wrappers wh
ich will in turn run qmake

-no-exceptions ..... Disable exceptions on platforms that support it.
* -exceptions ........ Enable exceptions on platforms that support it.

-no-accessibility .. Do not compile Windows Active Accessibility support.
* -accessibility ..... Compile Windows Active Accessibility support.

-no-stl ............ Do not compile STL support.
* -stl ............... Compile STL support.

-no-sql-<driver> ... Disable SQL <driver> entirely, by default none are turn
ed on.
-qt-sql-<driver> ... Enable a SQL <driver> in the Qt Library.
-plugin-sql-<driver> Enable SQL <driver> as a plugin to be linked to at run
time.
Available values for <driver>:
mysql
psql
oci
odbc
tds
db2
+ sqlite
sqlite2
ibase
(drivers marked with a '+' have been detected as availa
ble on this system)

-system-sqlite ..... Use sqlite from the operating system.

-no-qt3support ..... Disables the Qt 3 support functionality.

-no-opengl ......... Disables OpenGL functionality

-platform <spec> ... The operating system and compiler you are building on.
(default %QMAKESPEC%)

-xplatform <spec> .. The operating system and compiler you are cross compili
ng to.

See the README file for a list of supported operating s
ystems and compilers.

-qtnamespace <namespace> Wraps all Qt library code in 'namespace name {...}

-D <define> ........ Add an explicit define to the preprocessor.
-I <includepath> ... Add an explicit include path.
-L <librarypath> ... Add an explicit library path.
-l <libraryname> ... Add an explicit library name, residing in a librarypath

-help, -h, -? ...... Display this information.

Third Party Libraries:

-qt-zlib ........... Use the zlib bundled with Qt.
+ -system-zlib ....... Use zlib from the operating system.
See http://www.gzip.org/zlib

-no-gif ............ Do not compile the plugin for GIF reading support.
+ -qt-gif ............ Compile the plugin for GIF reading support.
See also src/plugins/imageformats/gif/qgifhandler.h

-no-libpng ......... Do not compile in PNG support.
-qt-libpng ......... Use the libpng bundled with Qt.
+ -system-libpng ..... Use libpng from the operating system.
See http://www.libpng.org/pub/png

-no-libmng ......... Do not compile in MNG support.
-qt-libmng ......... Use the libmng bundled with Qt.
+ -system-libmng ..... Use libmng from the operating system.
See See http://www.libmng.com

-no-libtiff ........ Do not compile the plugin for TIFF support.
-qt-libtiff ........ Use the libtiff bundled with Qt.
+ -system-libtiff .... Use libtiff from the operating system.
See http://www.libtiff.org

-no-libjpeg ........ Do not compile the plugin for JPEG support.
-qt-libjpeg ........ Use the libjpeg bundled with Qt.
+ -system-libjpeg .... Use libjpeg from the operating system.
See http://www.ijg.org

Qt/Windows only:

-no-dsp ............ Do not generate VC++ .dsp files.
* -dsp ............... Generate VC++ .dsp files, only if spec "win32-msvc".

-no-vcproj ......... Do not generate VC++ .vcproj files.
* -vcproj ............ Generate VC++ .vcproj files, only if platform "win32-ms
vc.net".

-no-incredibuild-xge Do not add IncrediBuild XGE distribution commands to cu
stom build steps.
+ -incredibuild-xge .. Add IncrediBuild XGE distribution commands to custom bu
ild steps. This will distribute MOC and UIC steps, and other custom buildsteps w
hich are added to the INCREDIBUILD_XGE variable.
(The IncrediBuild distribution commands are only added
to Visual Studio projects)

-no-qmake .......... Do not compile qmake.
* -qmake ............. Compile qmake.

-dont-process ...... Do not generate Makefiles/Project files. This will over
ride -no-fast if specified.
* -process ........... Generate Makefiles/Project files.

-no-rtti ........... Do not compile runtime type information.
* -rtti .............. Compile runtime type information.

-no-mmx ............ Do not compile with use of MMX instructions
+ -mmx ............... Compile with use of MMX instructions
-no-3dnow .......... Do not compile with use of 3DNOW instructions
-no-sse ............ Do not compile with use of SSE instructions
-no-sse2 ........... Do not compile with use of SSE2 instructions
+ -direct3d .......... Compile in Direct3D support (experimental - see INSTALL
for more info)
-no-openssl ........ Do not compile in OpenSSL support
+ -openssl ........... Compile in run-time OpenSSL support
-openssl-linked .... Compile in linked OpenSSL support
-no-dbus ........... Do not compile in D-Bus support
+ -dbus .............. Compile in D-Bus support and load libdbus-1 dynamically

-dbus-linked ....... Compile in D-Bus support and link to libdbus-1
-no-phonon ......... Do not compile in the Phonon module
+ -phonon ............ Compile in the Phonon module (Phonon is built if a dece
nt C++ compiler is used.)
-no-webkit ......... Do not compile in the WebKit module
+ -webkit ............ Compile in the WebKit module (WebKit is built if a dece
nt C++ compiler is used.)
-arch <arch> ....... Specify an architecture.
Available values for <arch>:
* windows
windowsce
generic

-no-style-<style> .. Disable <style> entirely.
-qt-style-<style> .. Enable <style> in the Qt Library.
Available styles:
* windows
+ windowsxp
+ windowsvista
* plastique
* cleanlooks
* motif
* cde
windowsce
windowsmobile

-loadconfig <config> Run configure with the parameters from file configure_<
config>.cache.
-saveconfig <config> Run configure and save the parameters in file configure
_<config>.cache.
-redo .............. Run configure with the same parameters as last time.

Qt/WinCE only:

-no-iwmmxt ......... Do not compile with use of IWMMXT instructions
+ -iwmmxt ............ Do compile with use of IWMMXT instructions (Qt/WinCE on
Arm only)
* -no-crt ............ Do not add the C runtime to default deployment rules
-qt-crt ............ Qt identifies C runtime during project generation
-crt <path> ........ Specify path to C runtime used for project generation.
-no-cetest ......... Do not compile Windows CE remote test application
+ -cetest ............ Compile Windows CE remote test application
-signature <file> .. Use file for signing the target project
-opengl-es-cm ...... Enable support for OpenGL ES Common
-opengl-es-cl ...... Enable support for OpenGL ES Common Lite

wysota
15th June 2008, 12:32
I know what configure -help returns :) I told you to read it and rerun configure with the switches of your choice and then after some time, you'd get a list of features Qt will be compiled with.

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 13:02
I know what configure -help returns :) I told you to read it and rerun configure with the switches of your choice and then after some time, you'd get a list of features Qt will be compiled with.

1)why, why am i supposed to make a selection out of that list. I mean why not just "configure " enough on its own? and how do we know the selection i would make have my program work without error? and i am newbie to qt, what kind of choices can i have? any ideas? :S

2) will i just run configure or nmake -distclean before that as it is stated in manual?

"Note: If you later need to reconfigure and rebuild Qt from the same location, ensure that all traces of the previous configuration are removed by entering the build directory and typing nmake distclean before running configure again."

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 13:07

Hi did you mean this list? I run configure and after seeing this list just aborted configuration with CTRL-C

here you are

E:\qt>configure

This is the Qt/Windows Open Source Edition.

You are licensed to use this software under the terms of
the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or 3.

Type '2' to view the GNU General Public License version 2 (GPLv2).
Type '3' to view the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPLv3).
Type 'y' to accept this license offer.
Type 'n' to decline this license offer.

Do you accept the terms of the license?
y
Setting Direct3D to NO, since the proper Direct3D SDK was not detected.
Make sure you have the Direct3D SDK installed, and that you have run
the <path to SDK>\Utilities\Bin\dx_setenv.cmd script.
The D3D SDK library path *needs* to appear before the Platform SDK library
path in your LIB environment variable.
All the required DirectShow/Direct3D files couldn't be found.
Make sure you have either the platform SDK AND the DirectX SDK or the Windows SD
K installed.
If you have the DirectX SDK installed, please make sure that you have run the <p
ath to SDK>\SetEnv.Cmd script.
Environment:
INCLUDE=
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\ATLMFC\INCLUDE
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\INCLUDE
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\include
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\include
C:\mingw\include\
LIB=
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\ATLMFC\LIB
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\LIB
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\lib
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\lib
C:\mingw\lib
PATH=
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\Tools
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\Tools\bin
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\bin
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\bin
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\VCPackages
C:\Perl\bin
C:\JET5.0-EVAL\BIN
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM
C:\PROGRA~1\JAVASOFT\JRE\1.3.1\BIN
C:\WROX
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT SQL SERVER\90\TOOLS\BINN\
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MATLAB71\BIN\WIN32

C:\Program Files\MVTec\HALCON\BIN\x86-win32
C:\Program Files\MVTec\HALCON\FLEXLM\x86-win32
C:\PROGRAM FILES\QUICKTIME\QTSYSTEM\
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\
e:\Qt\bin
e:\qt\bin
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE
C:\MinGW\bin
e:\QT\bin
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\tools
C:\Program Files\CSL Arm Toolchain\bin
You are licensed to use this software under the terms of the GNU GPL version 2 o
r 3.
See E:/qt/LICENSE.GPL2
or E:/qt/LICENSE.GPL3

Configuration:
dist-config
large-config
medium-config
minimal-config
small-config
full-config
build_all
debug
Qt Configuration:
release
debug
zlib
png
accessibility
qt3support
opengl
ipv6
xmlpatterns
webkit
svg
minimal-config
small-config
medium-config
large-config
full-config

QMAKESPEC...................win32-msvc2005 (env)
Architecture................windows
Maketool....................nmake
Debug symbols...............yes
Accessibility support.......yes
STL support.................yes
Exception support...........yes
RTTI support................yes
MMX support.................yes
3DNOW support...............yes
SSE support.................yes
SSE2 support................yes
IWMMXT support..............no
OpenGL support..............yes
Direct3D support............no
OpenSSL support.............no
QtDBus support..............no
QtXmlPatterns support.......yes
Phonon support..............no
WebKit support..............yes
Qt3 compatibility...........yes

Third Party Libraries:
ZLIB support............qt
GIF support.............plugin
TIFF support............plugin
JPEG support............plugin
PNG support.............qt
MNG support.............plugin

Styles:
Windows.................yes
Windows XP..............yes
Windows Vista...........yes
Plastique...............yes
Cleanlooks..............yes
Motif...................yes
CDE.....................yes
Windows CE..............no
Windows Mobile..........no

Sql Drivers:
ODBC....................no
MySQL...................no
OCI.....................no
PostgreSQL..............no
TDS.....................no
DB2.....................no
SQLite..................plugin (qt)
SQLite2.................no
InterBase...............no

Sources are in..............E:\qt
Build is done in............E:\qt
Install prefix..............E:\qt
Headers installed to........E:\qt\include
Libraries installed to......E:\qt\lib
Plugins installed to........E:\qt\plugins
Binaries installed to.......E:\qt\bin
Docs installed to...........E:\qt\doc
Data installed to...........E:\qt
Translations installed to...E:\qt\translations
Examples installed to.......E:\qt\examples
Demos installed to..........E:\qt\demos

Creating qmake...

Creating makefiles in src...
Generating Visual Studio project files...

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 13:14

Setting Direct3D to NO, since the proper Direct3D SDK was not detected.
Make sure you have the Direct3D SDK installed, and that you have run
the <path to SDK>\Utilities\Bin\dx_setenv.cmd script.
The D3D SDK library path *needs* to appear before the Platform SDK library
path in your LIB environment variable.
All the required DirectShow/Direct3D files couldn't be found.
Make sure you have either the platform SDK AND the DirectX SDK or the Windows SD
K installed.
If you have the DirectX SDK installed, please make sure that you have run the <p
ath to SDK>\SetEnv.Cmd script.

wow i think I don't have some SDK but I have microsoft platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2, and I am using windows XZp/sp2. could this be the reason of the error :S and today is sunday and sunny!!!

wysota
15th June 2008, 15:42
This is the SDK for DirectX, not some general SDK. It's perfectly fine that you don't have it. The configuration process seems fine, although you might want to use a switch or two - disabling webkit or patternist will reduce compilation time greatly and if you don't need those modules, disabling them would be a good idea.

Now I suggest you recompile Qt from scratch - unarchive the source bundle again, run configure with the switches of your choice and then call nmake. Watch out for errors and if any occur, paste them here - but the first error only, not the whole compilation log please :)

Comptrol
15th June 2008, 16:36
This is the SDK for DirectX, not some general SDK. It's perfectly fine that you don't have it. The configuration process seems fine, although you might want to use a switch or two - disabling webkit or patternist will reduce compilation time greatly and if you don't need those modules, disabling them would be a good idea.

Now I suggest you recompile Qt from scratch - unarchive the source bundle again, run configure with the switches of your choice and then call nmake. Watch out for errors and if any occur, paste them here - but the first error only, not the whole compilation log please :)

Hi again, I will do you tell me to do definitely but I installed MinGW as well. does that make any problem for installing source code of MSVC?

ps: i couldn't make it work in mingw either! :confused:

wysota
15th June 2008, 17:47
Please do as I said - you'll save the time of us both. Remove everything, unzip the source, run configure <your options go here> and then nmake.

In doubt please consult our wiki, there is an article there describing how to make things work.

Comptrol
16th June 2008, 01:01
Hi wysota, as i told you before, i appreciated your help a lot. So I have tried to minimize my posts in order not to keep you busy; you didn't need to emphasize our posts could be burden for you; I am aware of this. And honestly, I really prefer not to ask for help[there are other documentations anyway, such as wiki and forum pages]. however , since I spent a few days of mine installing QT, I thought it was high time to demand a help from a pro. Although I still appreciate your help, warning people as if they were kinda burden to you is really rude of you. So, I would rather not take your precious time anymore. you can keep it for other things as you stated above. Thanks one more time for your great help

If any other helpful member would like to see the last lines of nmake command of qt.4.3.2 source package, here it is:

[QUOTE]
main.cpp
demoscene.cpp
mainwindow.cpp
demoitem.cpp
score.cpp
demoitemanimation.cpp
itemcircleanimation.cpp
demotextitem.cpp
headingitem.cpp
dockitem.cpp
scanitem.cpp
letteritem.cpp
examplecontent.cpp
menucontent.cpp
guide.cpp
guideline.cpp
guidecircle.cpp
menumanager.cpp
colors.cpp
textbutton.cpp
Generating Code...
Compiling...
imageitem.cpp
Generating Code...
cl -c -nologo -Zm200 -Zc:wchar_t- -O2 -MD -GR -EHsc -W3 -w34100 -w34189
-DUNICODE -DWIN32 -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_XML_LIB -DQ
T_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I"
..\..\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\include\QtNetwork" -I"..
\..\include\QtNetwork" -I"..\..\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\
include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\include\QtXml" -I"..\..\in
clude\QtXml" -I"..\..\include" -I"e:\qt\include\QtAssistantClient" -I"..\..\incl
ude\QtAssistant" -I"e:\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I".moc" -I"." -I"..\..\mkspecs\win3
2-msvc2005" -Fo.obj\ @C:\DOCUME~1\Halliday\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm18A3.tmp
moc_mainwindow.cpp
moc_demoitemanimation.cpp
moc_menumanager.cpp
Generating Code...
cl -c -nologo -Zm200 -Zc:wchar_t- -O2 -MD -GR -EHsc -W3 -w34100 -w34189
-DUNICODE -DWIN32 -DQT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_XML_LIB -DQ
T_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I"
..\..\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\include\QtNetwork" -I"..
\..\include\QtNetwork" -I"..\..\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\
include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\include\QtOpenGL" -I"..\..\include\QtXml" -I"..\..\in
clude\QtXml" -I"..\..\include" -I"e:\qt\include\QtAssistantClient" -I"..\..\incl
ude\QtAssistant" -I"e:\qt\include\ActiveQt" -I".moc" -I"." -I"..\..\mkspecs\win3
2-msvc2005" -Fo.obj\ @C:\DOCUME~1\Halliday\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm18A4.tmp
qrc_qtdemo.cpp
link /LIBPATH:"e:\qt\lib" /LIBPATH:"e:\qt\lib" /NOLOGO /INCREMENTAL:NO /
MANIFESTFILE:".obj\qtdemo.intermediate.manifest" /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /OUT:..\..\b
in\qtdemo.exe @C:\DOCUME~1\Halliday\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm18A5.tmp
mt.exe -nologo -manifest ".obj\qtdemo.intermediate.manifest" -outputreso
urce:..\..\bin\qtdemo.exe;1

Thanks in advance

wysota
16th June 2008, 05:45
Although I still appreciate your help, warning people as if they were kinda burden to you is really rude of you.
I never meant anything like that. Let me rephrase the statement - "you'll save your time and our diskspace". If I didn't want to use my time by answering such questions, I simply wouldn't answer. Moreover I wouldn't be here and there is a good chance so wouldn't that site, at least in its current form.

Looks like your compilation was successful. You'll be probably having problems because of white spaces in the installation path ("Documents and Files"), but here it shouldn't be an issue. Please check what resides in the bin and lib directories. You should have all the tools and all the libs there (dll files in bin and lib files in lib). I think you built Qt in debug mode only (because you didn't pass -release or -debug-and-release switches to configure), so all the libraries should have names ending with "d". Is that correct?

Comptrol
16th June 2008, 13:06
Looks like your compilation was successful. You'll be probably having problems because of white spaces in the installation path ("Documents and Files"), but here it shouldn't be an issue. Please check what resides in the bin and lib directories. You should have all the tools and all the libs there (dll files in bin and lib files in lib). I think you built Qt in debug mode only (because you didn't pass -release or -debug-and-release switches to configure), so all the libraries should have names ending with "d". Is that correct?

[ *.ilk *.pdb] files have only names with -d

qtsqld4.ilk
qtguid4.pdb
etc.

however, others[*.dll *.prl *.exp *.lib] do have both -d suffix and no suffix. for instance

qtxml4.dll
qtxml4d.dll
qtsvg4.exp
qtsvg4d.exp
etc.
etc.

what other extensions should I have in order to run in both debug and release modes according to you?

In my opinion, my programs work both in debug and release modes now. However, when I run in release mode I got a warning "debugging information cannot be found..." and I handle that error by changing

project->xxx properties->linker->debugging->Generate Debug Info property to yes.
as for the design tools, since I installed 4.3.2 version[not the 4.4.0 version you advices, because it didn't configure without errors] I have designer, assistant and linguist design tools.

AFAIK, There are 3 ways to make a project by using MSVC

1)using designer and run

qmake -project
qmake -tp vc nameoftheprohect.pro

and running vcproj file afterwards in MSVC. this enables me to work on a win32 project so that I can change debugging settings to prevent the warning appearing in the release mode,which I mentioned above.

2)Hard-coding on makefile project.

However, in this case I must set some makefile directories from

project-> xxx project properties->configuration properties->nmake

to autogenerate make files. such that:

for RELEASE MODE

Build Command Line :

qmake -project
qmake
nmake release

Rebuild All Command Line:

qmake -project
qmake
nmake release-clean
nmake release

Clean Command Line:

nmake release-clean

Output:
release\xxx.exe

for DEBUG MODE

Build Command Line :

qmake -project
qmake
nmake debug

Rebuild All Command Line:

qmake -project
qmake
nmake debug-clean
nmake debug

Clean Command Line:

nmake debug-clean

Output:
debug\xxx.exe

However, in this case I cannot handle the warning I mentioned above.frankly, I don't know what to do to prevent it in this case.

3)Hard coding for vcproj file.

In this case, after hardcoding I run the commands above again in the command line to produce vcproj file. and I open it from MSVC. However, whenever I add additional header or files I must run those commands again, Unlike MakeFile project.

I think only think I don't have is that I couldn't integrate the designer tool on MSVC; is this available only for the commercial products?

http://trolltech.com/images/products/qt/qt-vs-integration

Lastly, can I uninstall MinGW version, which I couldn't make work? Can this effect the QT working with MSVC ?

thanks for your effort again.

wysota
16th June 2008, 14:32
what other extensions should I have in order to run in both debug and release modes according to you?
That's enough. I'm surprised Qt built itself in both debug and release modes withouth the -debug-and-release switch. Or did you use it?

In my opinion, my programs work both in debug and release modes now. However, when I run in release mode I got a warning "debugging information cannot be found..."
Release mode is not meant for debugging, so I'd say that's normal.

as for the design tools, since I installed 4.3.2 version[not the 4.4.0 version you advices, because it didn't configure without errors]

What errors were you getting?

1)using designer and run
Out of the three ways you mentioned the above one is best. With others you'll run into problems sooner or later.

There is a fourth method though - use qmake to generate Makefiles and nmake to execute them and use Visual Studio only for editing and debugging. This is the safest although not the user friendliest way.

I think only think I don't have is that I couldn't integrate the designer tool on MSVC; is this available only for the commercial products?
Yes, this is only for commercial licensees.

Lastly, can I uninstall MinGW version, which I couldn't make work?
Yes, of course.

Can this effect the QT working with MSVC ?
No, I don't think so.

Comptrol
18th June 2008, 16:06
That's enough. I'm surprised Qt built itself in both debug and release modes withouth the -debug-and-release switch. Or did you use it?

no , I didn't add them. I just wrote configure and nmake afterwards.

What errors were you getting?

something related to libraries again , but I don't think I will try installing it one more time, I am really tired of installing them . besides, my 4.3.2 version works fine , thanks to you :))

Out of the three ways you mentioned the above one is best. With others you'll run into problems sooner or later.

There is a fourth method though - use qmake to generate Makefiles and nmake to execute them and use Visual Studio only for editing and debugging. This is the safest although not the user friendliest way.

thanks for this advice as well, I will try this one .

lastly, thanks a lot hundred of times :o

ChristianEhrlicher
19th June 2008, 07:18

That's the default on windows so no need to be surprised :)