PDA

View Full Version : Cross platform development

muhQ
18th June 2008, 21:36
Hi,
I'm completely new to the QT framework. And maybe this is the wrong framework for my needs, but that's why I'm here :D

Problem:
I would like to develope a application within windows xp (best within Visual Studio).
This app. needs to run under windows vista, windows xp, windows ce, linux, linux embedded, Mac OS and it would be nice on mobile devices ...
(--> port the win app without recoding it)
The second thing is, I would love to import and display animated svg files so it would be easy to create e.g. a spinning wheel within a graphic editor and then simply "load" it into a window and display the animated picture.

So that's what I wanna do, the only thing is I don't know whether I can do that within QT.

It would be very nice if somebody could help me.

greets mat

jpn
18th June 2008, 21:52
Hi,
I'm completely new to the QT framework. And maybe this is the wrong framework for my needs, but that's why I'm here :D
Hi and welcome. Just one small note. It's Qt, not QT which refers to an Apple product. ;)

Problem:
I would like to develope a application within windows xp (best within Visual Studio).
This app. needs to run under windows vista, windows xp, windows ce, linux, linux embedded, Mac OS and it would be nice on mobile devices ...
(--> port the win app without recoding it)

Yes, all these platforms are supported by Qt. Qt is also well known for that the same code really compiles on all platforms (unless you do stupid unportable things yourself).

The second thing is, I would love to import and display animated svg files so it would be easy to create e.g. a spinning wheel within a graphic editor and then simply "load" it into a window and display the animated picture.

It should be quite straight-forward with QSvgWidget (or QGraphicsSvgItem in case of graphics view in use). Just notice (http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/qtsvg.html) that

Qt supports the static features of SVG 1.2 Tiny. ECMA scripts and DOM manipulation are currently not supported.

muhQ
18th June 2008, 22:06
Thanks for the quick answer, that sounds good to me.

One more question :) Is it better to use the C++ version of Qt if i have want to create portable apps or can I also use the Java version (because I prefer Java or better C# :p)