PDA

View Full Version : Farewell and good bye!

GreyGeek
21st June 2008, 03:58
Folks,
I've enjoyed visiting Qt Center over the last three years I've been using Qt at work. I appreciate all the help I've been given and hope that the occasional help I've offered has been of some value.

I began "programming" in 1959 at the Barnes School of Business, Denver, where I "programmed" an IBM 402 tabulator by bannana plugging a patch board. My first real source code language was Fortran 4 in 1967 while taking Numerical Analysis in grad school. Since then I have lost count of the number of languages I have learned and have used at least a dozen during that time.

As of June 13th I officially retired from work.

Although I've enjoyed it over the years I don't see myself writing software in the future. During the last week I took my grandson fishing twice and taught him the techniques I use to coax a Bass onto my lure. My wife has enough "Honey-Do"s to keep me busy for several years. And, it seems my other grandson thinks golfing would be a good investment in my time. I see it as investing my time in him! ;)

Qt is a great tool, and Trolltech support staff is second to none. Using their tool was a great way to end a career!

Bye all!
GreyGeek
a.k.a Jerry L Kreps

wysota
21st June 2008, 12:49
Thanks for all your work, interest and help. We're glad we had you here and we (or at least I) hope it's not the end of programming for you - writing educational software for grand- or grand-grand children can be fun as well :) Either way, have a great and happy retirement!

travis
22nd June 2008, 15:08
Good Bye Mr. Jerry,

Just to know that someone has spend so many years programming and has enjoyed it is inspiring.

Regards
Ankur

Raccoon29
23rd June 2008, 17:06
I think that even if you retire, you will continue to make iterations and inherit classes inside your mind, when you'll see a mixer blink lights and stop itself you'll wonder its source code (Fortran, Assembly, C++... no matter), there will be a moment that you'll think "...but if that QFtp instead of doing like that would...", and you'll watch the life filled of objects everywhere.
Be aware that this is not bad.
This just demonstrate your great programming mind which is now enured to normally think like a program.
Teach your clues to whoever want to listen them, because from such a long experience everyone has just to learn!

Have a happy retirement!
Good bye pal! ;)