PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Qt and Visual Studio setup

Chronos
8th July 2008, 02:26
Sorry everybody, I was not able to find thread dealing with my problem. Never before have I done any real work with the command line so please elaborate where ever possible, for example, tel me what I'm actually doing so I won't have to ask again in the future. To begin, my goal is to set up Qt to build and compile with Visual Studio Express Edition 2008, I have already installed Qt 4.4 (gone through the whole nmake process), and I have already added the directories in which Visual Studio will look for all the necessary Qt files. My question is where do I exactly go from here to complete my setup ? All I want is to be able to build and debug my Qt applications with Visual Studio.

Or, as an alternative. Could someone recommend a good IDE available (for free) for Qt ? Could you also list the steps in which one would setup the IDE with Qt ? I've heard that Visual Studio isn't best for Qt development, is this true ? If you consider it so, then I would love to be using the superior alternative.

Thanks, I'll greatly appreciate help :D

ChristianEhrlicher
8th July 2008, 06:42
I don't know what you're missing but once you've your .pro-File you can generate .vcproj files for Visual Studio with qmake.

Chronos
8th July 2008, 13:02
I think I've figured out my problem. I am not aware of how to create a .pro file. Does the qmake -project command automatically create a .pro file in some specific directory or do I need to specify further information like the name I want the file to have ? If so, how would I tell the VC++ command prompt my specified name ? Do I need to create a .cpp file first in order to create the .pro file ? In what directory would the .pro file be in ? Please, could someone just list out the steps I must go through to create a Qt project ?

Correct me if I'm doing this wrong:
(In VC++ command prompt)

1) qmake -project "I hit enter"
2) qmake -t vcapp "I hit enter"

Is that really all I am required to do ?

Please, could someone list the steps that they go through when creating a Qt project on Windows ?

I receive a warning message in the prompt that more than one version of Visual Studio was found and that It's falling back to my oldest version, the current release. I trust this is no problem ? Could it be that this appears because I installed the 2008 windows SDK ?

ChristianEhrlicher
9th July 2008, 06:50
Looks fine. I suggest reading the qmake manual (http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qmake-manual.html)

biswajithit
21st July 2008, 08:11
Hi,

qmake -project only -->going to create .pro file based on current directory. If it is a small application then no problem. For larger application(which consists many folders and sub folders of code) manual editing of .pro file is better.

qmake -vcapp will create .dsp file. opening that file in Visual studio will create .dsw file.
.dsw is similar to "project file " for visual studio.