PDA

View Full Version : systemwide user profiles

luf
6th August 2008, 14:12
Hi

I'm currently looking into making systemwide user profiles, as I've seen that some people use 1 user on the computer for everybody, instead of creating userprofiles...

I saw this thread about multiplatform userscope profiles (http://www.qtcentre.org/forum/f-qt-programming-2/t-best-multiplatform-policy-to-store-per-user-profile-files-14560.html).

My current approach would be something similar, but use QSettings with QSettings::SystemScope, then creating a subdir for each user at a given path. (Probably /etc/xdg/vendorname/applicationname/username (linux/mac os) or (windows) c:\documents and settings\all users\applicationdata\vendorname\applicationname\u sername

One issue is of course that on windows, by default everyone has write access to c:\documents and settings\all users\applicationdata\, while on linux default is to root only for /etc/xdg...

I was thinking about using the software's own directory, but some sysadmins prefer to have softwaredirs write only, which is understandable, thinking about how self-de

I was hoping to allow the program itself to create files if they weren't there instead of installing and setting user permissions explicit on a directory.

Anyone have any thoughts?:confused:

cheers,
Leif